New Egypt E-Visa for US Citizens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I applied for the E-Visa yesterday. It's $25 USD pp as well for single entry (and $60 USD for multiple). I like the idea of it being one less thing to worry about on the connection in Cairo. It will be interesting to see it work out.

The E-Visa application process was mostly straightforward. They are definitely using a somewhat primitive webapp (I work in IT) lot's of restrictions in certain fields - kind of curious what kind of database they use on the back end that has such limitations on fields. The site looks pretty, but the database they use won't take special characters like - / and in some cases , . ?, in many cases a trailing white space which you could not see would cause it to error (you type something in, and hit space bar afterward, before moving to the next 'box') ---so it took me a few minutes to get through some steps as I had to eliminate certain punctuation.

During the process - you provide the same information, you can submit multiple apps together and only provide these details 1 time for the entire group (for me it was self/spouse/adult child)
Host company
Host address in Egypt
Host phone number in Egypt
Host email address
Who is paying your expenses while in Egypt

I'm actually glad I did it this way - I had the Blue-O-Two UK address and phone, but not the Hurghada address. If it's anything like other countries I have visited I may have just been able to put a hotel name and "hurghada" and they would have taken it...but given that I'm doing it online, from home - I had time to email blue-o-two and get their details handy.

They make you submit an image of your passport...now, they aren't very good with instructions - but it seems logical they are looking for the signature and ID page. We'll see if they kick it back to me unapproved.

I do not have a scanner anymore, so I took a very clean photo of the pages - curious if that will suffice - my experience is that fewer folks have scanners. They only scanner I have is sheet fed - I use it for receipts I submit to my employer...not going to fit the passport through that.

When you actually pay - they redirect you off the Egypt.gov site onto a credit card clearance site which I am familiar with. The payment site uses certain multifactor authentication methods that are used in a few other sites...basically if your credit card company supports the feature - you have to go to your phone/app and approve the purchase. I was more impressed by which payment clearing house they were using - more than any other part of the process.

So now it's in process - assuming it gets approved - and doesn't cause me problems on the ground in Cairo - this was simple enough. Being a brand new site, I would expect that in a year they have addressed certain shortcomings on the site - provided better instructions. Their is a help feature which emails them questions --- I used it, response recieved in about 4 hours on a weekday. The only complaint I had about the help feature was the lack of special characters...I had to remove all punctuation which made it really difficult to properly express my question...however, they managed a response the basically answered my question.

As this type of technology comes online - I would expect them to reduce the staff onsite at airports to process visas manually in real time. That's usually how any organization justifies the expense of setting these things up...in the promise that it will allow them to either scaling down manpower, or at least handle increased volume without scaling up manpower.

Sounds like it may have taken you more time to fill out and submit online than it would have to walk up to the kiosk in the airport and hand them $25 and your passport.

That's probably true!

Still someone had to go first - and share the experience. If I had to do it again, I would have taken 5 minutes on it...now that I know how to avoid. So hopefully someone else can read this and learn:
special characters in fields, and empty spaces after whatever you typed.

I just received my completed E-Visa - 24 hours later.

They are good for 3 months, so don't request one >3 months before you need it.
They advise giving yourself at least 7 days before your trip.

I suppose the real test will come in Cairo, but I'm hopeful.

-Ray

Sounds like it may have taken you more time to fill out and submit online than it would have to walk up to the kiosk in the airport and hand them $25 and your passport.

I'm not sure how long the lines are but that is also a factor upon arrival. I'm a fan of having it done in advance if possible so it's one less thing I have to stand around waiting for. I can see how if there are no lines that may be the case!

That's probably true!

Still someone had to go first - and share the experience. If I had to do it again, I would have taken 5 minutes on it...now that I know how to avoid. So hopefully someone else can read this and learn:
special characters in fields, and empty spaces after whatever you typed.

I just received my completed E-Visa - 24 hours later.

They are good for 3 months, so don't request one >3 months before you need it.
They advise giving yourself at least 7 days before your trip.

I suppose the real test will come in Cairo, but I'm hopeful.

-Ray

Thank you for this! Your feedback/thorough review of the process is extremely helpful. I'll give this a shot as I get closer to my trip in mid-September. :) Is the e-visa just a basic print out?

It's a pdf, for printing.

It has your details in English and Arabic. A barcode for scanning, and an Evisa number also in English and Arabic.

1 sheet per person.

I would post it, but too much PII within it.

I'm not sure how long the lines are but that is also a factor upon arrival. I'm a fan of having it done in advance if possible so it's one less thing I have to stand around waiting for. I can see how if there are no lines that may be the case!

I don't enjoy standing around, either, but where are you going to go? Passing through the visa line is something almost every visitor--well, until now with the e-visa program--must do. There is plenty time to do it and nothing else to do in that airport but be harassed by people trying to sell tours. It is not a comfortable airport to wait in, either sitting or standing. For me, heading for the visa line with everyone else who was on my flight is something I accept as fate, like Immigration/Customs, which comes after that. Of course, if you have lounge privileges where you can find some serenity for the remaining minutes between flights, that may be a different story.

Only for EU countries, Australia, Canada, Croatia, Georgia, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Macedonia, Malaysia, Republic of Korea, Russian Federation, Serbia, Ukraine and USA (some other countries are exempted and others are required to have a pre-arrival visa) :
Last time I went there (yesterday) Croatia was EU country.....sorry, couldn't resist.:surrender:
BTW, what happened with supposed visa price increase?

There were rumors about price increase last year to $70, but I guess it didn't come through.

Visa price increase doesn’t make sense when you’re trying to encourage tourism...but stuff don’t have to make sense I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom