Looking for a bcd without high side''chaps''?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's all that matters. Well, that and being safe, but there is nothing inherently unsafe about a poodle jacket. So, you're good.
Quoted for truth.

When I went from a poodle jacket to a BP/W, it was because I'm a UW photog, and having less stuff on my front was more compatible with carrying a large camera rig. In my club, the majority - even quite a few of those diving rec twinsets - use some kind of jacket BCD and are fine with that. So even though I prefer a BP/W myself, I get more and more annoyed at the BP/W mantra chanted by most of the vocal SB members. People differ, tastes differ, priorities differ, so there isn't one single universal diving gear config.

Quoted for truth.

When I went from a poodle jacket to a BP/W, it was because I'm a UW photog, and having less stuff on my front was more compatible with carrying a large camera rig. In my club, the majority - even quite a few of those diving rec twinsets - use some kind of jacket BCD and are fine with that. So even though I prefer a BP/W myself, I get more and more annoyed at the BP/W mantra chanted by most of the vocal SB members. People differ, tastes differ, priorities differ, so there isn't one single universal diving gear config.
You may have a BP/W, though if that also does not include a Perdix, you are still doing it wrong.

You may have a BP/W, though if that also does not include a Perdix, you are still doing it wrong.
Good to hear :)

My PDC is an AI Suunto, so I guess I'm going to die. Even if I've ditched my split fins for a pair of Jets and prefer a long hose setup.

My PDC is an AI Suunto, so I guess I'm going to die. Even if I've ditched my split fins for a pair of Jets and prefer a long hose setup.

Jet fins are sooo 2000s! If you don't have Deep6 Eddy fins you will surely die ... of Terminal Uncoolness.

I have a BPW (a Freedom plate, no less!), a Perdix, and Deep6 fins. Clearly, I am invincible. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Good god!!!! I am using a Cobalt II.....I guess the next time I get in the water I will just explode!!!!! Poodle jacket and a Cobalt.....probably wont live long enough to get wet.

This is the "new divers and those considering diving" forum. The humor that pokes fun at people that think there is only one proper set of gear is well intentioned and our members and staff have done a good job of pointing out that there are reasons that people may gravitate eventually to certain gear configurations but that others are perfectly comfortable and safe in other more common gear configurations.

I will point out that this forum is designed to help new divers find information about scuba diving and scuba diving equipment. There are special rules in place to prevent unfriendly or aggressive posts and to ensure that the threads stay on topic. For those that are new to the forum, the humor is in reference to the tendency towards inflexible thinking that sometimes happens when people figure out what works for them and thinks that others should follow the same path. I hope we can steer this back on topic. Thanks for the smiles my friends.

I have worn a number of different hire BCDs during dives and tried on quite a few more at a dive shop. Based on this I have just bought an Aqualung Axiom. The sides are quite a lot lower than Cressi or Scubapro. I can get the jacket on an off easily, I can bend more easily and operate the zips more easily than in the others. Another reason I like the low sides is trim. I tend to be a bit head down / feet up in the water that I correct by hand sculling (not good dive practice). The low sides mean the QR weights will be nearer my feet and more to my front, improving my trim compared to a Cressi.

Back
Top Bottom