Oceanic compass doesn't work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BRT

not a soft touch
Reaction score
We just spent a few weeks in Mexico where we do some shore diving. The three of us all have Oceanic Veo 250 computers in consoles. Mine is in an older rubber console and the other two are in the fancy molded console. I lost my compass so changed to a spare molded console. I discovered right away that the compass was not to be trusted. My wife never uses hers so she never noticed but I found the other guy with us was fighting his. In my rubber console the compass is not right next to the computer but in the molded console the compass is exactly opposite of the computer. When the compass is really close to the computer it doesn't work. Further testing revealed that the computer batteries were strongly magnetic and were the problem. I have placed an order for CR2450 non magnetic batteries. We will see

I have placed an order for CR2450 non magnetic batteries.

Where can you find these and what brand/model? (It would be great if you can provide a link)

Just tried the Powerstream batteries. They don't work. The battery voltage drops to 1.4v and they won't boot the computer. I have used all different kinds of cheap and good batteries in this computer, all worked until now.

Just got in some CHAO CHUANG batteries from Amazon. They are 304 stainless and only slightly magnetic. I had a Sanyo and I checked it. Also only slightly magnetic and even though they affect the compass slightly it is probably good enough for finding shore. The Energizers in some positions will completely reverse the needle making North read South. Id still rather have some batteries made of 316 stainless with no magnetism if anybody finds any.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom