Weight distribution on soft Backplate wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The soft backplate I'm purchasing (waiting for delivery) is Mares XR Soft backplate.
Looking on UTD plate, how would you attach the weights there?

Attachments

• Harness.jpg
    Harness.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 159
I switched to the OxyCheq travel plate + 30# wing last summer (for travel) and generally like the set up. In warm water (Al80) I need 11 or 12# of lead - 2 x 3# in XS-Scuba cam-band pockets, and 2 x 3# in XS-Scuba pockets on the waist belt. I'm very happy with the set up, and it's very comfortable and trims out well. As others have said, you only save ca. 5# in your travel bag, although it does pack a little more efficiently than my SS plate.

The soft backplate I'm purchasing (waiting for delivery) is Mares XR Soft backplate.
Looking on UTD plate, how would you attach the weights there?
On the back of the UTD plate there are 4 sewn in pieces of thin 2” webbing, the UTD pouches attach to them. Gives you up to 20 lbs (12 kilos) of weight. Also, if you need more you can add a couple of pouches to the waist belt.

For my travels, I am buying a soft backplate with 10kg (22 lbs) wing for single cylinder diving. I want to be able to do dives in both wet suit (warm waters) and dry suit (trilaminate, in warm and cold waters).

Could you please recommend ideas how to attach weight to my set-up? Here are some ideas I have:
- weight pockets on cam-bands around single cylinder
- weight pockets on my shoulder webbing (below D-rings?)
- weight belt
All of these are perfectly reasonable options, although I do have a question: why 'below' the D-rings on the shoulder webbing? You can get a bit more benefit in terms of horizontal trim, by placing them 'higher' on your torso (i.e. closer to your head), and that would generally mean placing them 'above' the D-rings.

Now, where a diver places their weight depends in part on their overall buoyancy and trim characteristics? Are you 'foot light'? 'Foot heavy'? Neither?

The majority of divers that I see are generally 'neither' - although there are conspicuous exceptions. But, the 'neither' group also generally don a positively buoyant jacket BCD (intrinsically positively buoyant because of the fabric and usually unnecessary padding, even with no air in the bladder), then add weight on a belt at their waist which puts them in a 45 degree, foot-down angle while diving.

Now, moving to a fabric backplate like the Mares XR should mean you actually need a bit less weight, which is a good thing. It should mean that you will not be quite a buoyant in your upper body because the plate itself has minimal positive buoyancy (you will still have the buoyancy of the thorax, associated with breathing), and putting weight pockets on the cam band (and the UPPER cam band, if there are two) should work just fine.

If, however, you find that you are still a bit 'foot low' with weights on your waist, then putting weight higher up on your rig, in particular on your shoulder straps, is an option.

FWIW, there is a discussion underway (Attaching hard weights to shoulders ) in a separate thread ('Attaching hard weightds to shoulders') that discusses the options for placing weight on the shoulder straps, which might be of interest.

All of these are perfectly reasonable options, although I do have a question: why 'below' the D-rings on the shoulder webbing? You can get a bit more benefit in terms of horizontal trim, by placing them 'higher' on your torso (i.e. closer to your head), and that would generally mean placing them 'above' the D-rings.

I have them between the D-rings because that's where they seem to trim me out best. It is all my lead, though, if I were to put some of it on the belt, I'd likely need to move the trim weights higher up as you suggest.

The good thing about shoulder straps is you can move the weights.

I have them between the D-rings because that's where they seem to trim me out best.
And, that's what it is all about - finding the placement that is best for your overall trim!

A weekend ago I did a test with my new system.
- Mares XR Dry suit, light undergarments
- Mares XR Soft Back plate
- Mares XR 10kg wing
- Mares PowerPlana fins - negative

I was in a fresh water, using 10l Steel cylinder. Had no need for any weight, the steel cylinder was even too heavy, so I needed to add a bit of air in the wing to be neutral.

Will need to see how it will work with thicker undergarments

Thanks for keeping us updated. This kind of 'first person experience' information may well help a number of SB users going forward.

At 145 pounds a weight belt “may” be a good option. I’m 5’11 and 165 pounds and since losing 30 pounds there is suddenly very little real estate left on my harness. I had to downsize my mask pocket and eliminate some components all together as the length of my belt decreased. If you go with weight pockets double check the dimensions to confirm they will fit. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom