First trip to Philippines and I have a few questions (Sabang Beach area)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been said but I'll add-

You'll get a sim card at the airport when you arrive.
You can take a taxi but if lines are hour+long, which I've had to endure more than once, there is Uber in Manila.

I'd take the bus down. If you leave in the morning then you're there by lunch. It's a comfortable ride.

I stayed and dived with Blue Ribbon last may. Great location and great staff.

Diving in Sabang is easy and pretty good. There's better elsewhere in the Philippines but you won't be disappointed with Sabang. And it's one of the few dive beach towns with a little 'night life' for single men if you'd like that option.

Dive knives are usually never a problem. Dive gloves are depending on the dive centre- some prefer you not to thinking it will encourage you to touch coral.

Philippines in general is safe. Especially the smaller towns. Dont let gun toting McDonald's doorman worry you. Philippines does have a gun culture. Manila and Cebu are like any other big Asian city. There is petty crime so use common sense walking around alone at night.

I always carry USD and change it in country. A little at the airport for the first day of travel and then change the rest as I go along. In my experience hotel safes have been reliable. Even in smaller hotels.

I discovered solo dive travel a few years ago and have since almost always travel solo. You'll get friendly with whoever is on the dive boat with you or you can choose to chill by yourself with a book on the beach. Best of both worlds imo. Its always a good idea to offer your DMs a round of drinks at night. They'll be your best tour guides.

I'll be in Cebu area middle of may if you are around. The diving around Cebu/Vysayas is debatably the best in the region if not south east Asia. Holler if you want more options on dive spots in the Philippines.

Thank you Partha. Very appreciated. I am set on Sabang for my first solo trip and have my reservations and a deposit paid already. If you change and are going to be in the Sabang area between May 20-29th I'll buy you a round. Thanks again for the cogent info.

I
Thank you Partha. Very appreciated. I am set on Sabang for my first solo trip and have my reservations and a deposit paid already. If you change and are going to be in the Sabang area between May 20-29th I'll buy you a round. Thanks again for the cogent info.

I might just take you up on that in case I hit Sabang before heading to Cebu. You'll enjoy it there. Good spot for a solo trip. Pop into Blue Ribbon for a meal. Food is excellent.

I

I might just take you up on that in case I hit Sabang before heading to Cebu. You'll enjoy it there. Good spot for a solo trip. Pop into Blue Ribbon for a meal. Food is excellent.

I am staying at Out of the Blue which looks to be a couple of doors down from Blue Ribbon resort. It has the Veranda restaurant that is also supposed to be very good. I just looked at the Blue Ribbon pics on google and saw they have an espresso machine? I may be there every morning... :D

I am staying at Out of the Blue which looks to be a couple of doors down from Blue Ribbon resort. It has the Veranda restaurant that is also supposed to be very good. I just looked at the Blue Ribbon pics on google and saw they have an espresso machine? I may be there every morning... :D

I stayed last year at OOTB and it is a very nice place with a great staff...you will not be disappointed. What dive operation are you planning to connect with?

I stayed last year at OOTB and it is a very nice place with a great staff...you will not be disappointed. What dive operation are you planning to connect with?

I was planning to use Asia Divers, but have read they can have many divers on a drop (8-10) so maybe Action divers that is associated with the resort. (I have read many good things about both operations). Since I am solo I am playing it by ear to see how busy it is while I am there.

I was planning to use Asia Divers, but have read they can have many divers on a drop (8-10) so maybe Action divers that is associated with the resort. (I have read many good things about both operations). Since I am solo I am playing it by ear to see how busy it is while I am there.

I have dived last year and this year with Action. I am going back again in early July and will be divinig Action. They are not the biggest operation but in all of my time diving with them the most divers we had including the DM was 5 maybe 6 max...in March it was 3-4. Hue and Andy are the DM and great to work with and open to ideas for dive sites to visit etc. I encourage you to give them a try you won't be disappointed. Action is right there at the entrance to OOTB.

El Galeon / Asia Divers have an espresso machine :coffee:

I saw a picture on Google for the Blue Ribbon resort that looked like a Starbucks but close inspection of the green sign showed it actually said "Posiden Coffee". Where is this? I need my one cup in the mornings before anyone talks to me... Do Filipinos normally drink coffee? Or tea like many other asian countries?

I saw a picture on Google for the Blue Ribbon resort that looked like a Starbucks but close inspection of the green sign showed it actually said "Posiden Coffee"?

Blue Ribbon does a decent cup of coffee. Complimentary cup for their divers :) The food there is excellent as well. Sabang is a tiny stretch - it won't take you long to find your favourite spots.

Back
Top Bottom