Food trucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After reading so many great reviews we plan to check them out this trip. I think ones hangs at bachelor's beach but not sure of the others. Do they have a usual spot? Cost? Food options? Beer, soda's or water? Want to try lion burgers but heard they can be pricey. Tips or suggestion's? Thanks Bill

Not chesp but definitely our favorite place to eat now. It use to be located at Kite City, hence the name, but now located at Te Amo Beach, beside Port Bonaire and across from the airport.

Kite City
Kite City food truck and Between Two Buns are the very best lunches we have found in 18 years of going to Bonaire over 30 visits . The big advantage of Kite City is it is actually a very nice dive at Te Amo.....many's the time we did a morning dive, lunch at Kite City, then another dive there going the other direction.

Asko & Jana Tabasco's King Kong Burgers & Hot Dogs food truck at Bachelor Beach is great! The Blue Funk Burger with blue cheese, bacon, jalapenos, and Asko's homemade onion compote is to die for. The truffle fries are delicious too. I'm still working my way through the burger menu, so haven't had a chance to try their hot dogs yet, but they look equally delicious.

Before Asko and Jana paired up and opened this food truck in 2016 Asko was the Operations Manager for Dive Friends Bonaire for 9 years.

Here are a few related links:
Bonaire Insider Dining Review: King Kong Has Arrived on Bonaire | InfoBonaire
XpBonaire Island Life | Bonaire News & Information
King Kong Burger

The Cactus Blue burger truck is okay too, but the menu is less creative and less diverse, and the number of tourists at Donkey Beach willing to wait in line is greater than what you'll usually find at Bachelor Beach.

Exito in town is a great spot to pick up lunch as well. They have a hot table buffet set up and do sandwiches to order. Tried the place when Between 2 Buns was closed in December and was pleasantly surprised.

After reading so many great reviews we plan to check them out this trip. I think ones hangs at bachelor's beach but not sure of the others. Do they have a usual spot? Cost? Food options? Beer, soda's or water? Want to try lion burgers but heard they can be pricey. Tips or suggestion's? Thanks Bill
I think everyone else has given you the overview. There are 3 well established food trucks (Kite City, King Kong Burgers and Cactus Blue). Prices are going to be in the $9-$12 range. All have water and sodas for sale. Not sure about beer. Since we are always eating at any of them between dives, I didn't take notice. Lionfish Burgers are hit and miss, based on availability. All 3 food trucks are worth checking out. We tend to bounce between them all. And, as mentioned, although not a food truck, Between 2 Buns is not to be missed for breakfast and/or lunch. It is located on the NW corner of the roundabout near Bari Reef.
All of the food trucks are located south of downtown along the ocean. You can't miss them. Enjoy!

A couple of weeks ago, lion fish burgers from the truck were $17.50 per, actually two on small buns (think sliders). That pair would give two people the idea, but not be lunch. Cactus Blue, which sells them, parks at North Belnem/Corporal Meiss. The good news about the price is that (we were told) lion fish meat is selling @ $50/kilo, as the local population is being drawn down. The bad news is the price, of course, but it is certainly tasty; also recommend the lion fish pizza as Pasa Bon, now located in town--artichoke hearts, capers, and other good stuff as I recall. In addition to the other recommendations here, although not a truck, Beer & Burgers, a place a mile or so east of downtown, lives up to its name nicely. Plenty of good food on Bonaire!

+1 for the Kite City tuna wraps. Just right for a dive lunch down south. :)

Lionfish is ok but I don't think it's worth the price, unless you consider it a donation to the cause - which is fine. All things considered equal though and I'd take lake perch or walleye.

A hunter was telling us that there are still plenty of lionfish but they're learning to hide.

Lionfish is very mild so needs something to boost the flavor. IMHO the best way to prepare and serve lionfish is ceviche. Look for that on the menu if you want lionfish at its best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom