Theft or gear mix-up on liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gear mixups happen, but usually because people have the same or very similar gear. i had one trip where me and another guy accidentally swapped wetsuits for a dive because we both had a oneill sector.

i also don't take my nicest gear on vacation, but mainly because i don't trust airlines.

Hi, @Dogbowl. In general no issues on liveaboards with your concern though I have run into people with the same dive gear and I’ve found that these waterproof stickers have been very helpful. It’s on almost all my gear such as regs, fins, camera, dive computer, lights, spoils, etc. I also have it on my wetsuit as a zipper pull.

https://www.amazon.com/Personalized-Waterproof-Sticker-Scuba-Boating/dp/B00BNQEESO

I also got a BC tag with my name on it which helps identify it but I also have in case of emergency information on it. Here it is with some information blurred out.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/attachments/screen-shot-2016-05-16-at-7-04-17-pm-png.373641/

Hi @Dogbowl first of all, have a great trip.

I have done several LOBs before and I agree with what the others have said. While at port, it is wise not to put anything out that may prove "tempting" to the locals. Even if your boat has security cameras, that will only help to identify someone after you notice something is missing which might be after you have departed the dock. Easiest solution is to wait till you leave the dock to put out your valuable stuff such as dive computers and camera gear.

Theft after you leave the dock is extremely unlikely since the thief will have no place to go after the event. In fact, most (if not all) LOBs that I have been on do not even have locks on the cabin doors. Once you leave the dock, feel safe in putting your dive computer with your other dive gear at your assigned station and to assemble your camera set-up and leave it on the camera table. The one caveat to that is that if it is really rough, you may want to keep your camera where it won't fall off a rocking table.

Having said that, I will always take something small that I can put valuables such as my wallet (and cash/credit cards/ID), my passport and my travel info in. Not only does this remove temptation (out of sight out of mind), but if something happens, then everything important is in one place. I can grab it on my way to the muster station. For this, I typically use a Pelican 1120 case with one of my luggage locks.

Gear mix ups, however are quite common and are almost always a result of honest mistakes. Get any of the waterproof markers mentioned above and put your initials on your wetsuit and any gear that you feel may get accidentally grabbed by the wrong person. (Bring the marker with you just in case you need to mark something or to refresh things that you had already marked.)

Anyway, I am sure that today's products are better but I would advise you NOT to pack a bottle of paint with your gear!

No longer have to worry about a bottle of paint. The paint pens work great. May rub out after extended use to require remarking.

I mark my fins because there can be several people on the same boat with the same ones - all the Tusa Zoom XL's only come in blue/black.One time on a day boat the DM threw everybody's in the back of the boat as we re-boarded so it took a minute to sort them out.

Otherwise everything I have is unique - I've been on one trip where 4 people had my BC but none have my orange octo keeper.

Plus in most cases you board the boat and put your gear in your assigned spot with small items below it in a bin. Hard to mix up...

The only time things could get mixed up is on some of the south pacific boats where it's tender diving off zodiac's - often the crew piles all the gear in the middle while you sit on the pontoons.

I take my videocamera/housing back to my room nightly but that's because I only open it in controlled conditions. I was on a boat once where they had a airhose hooked up to the compressor to dry your housing - good way to dislodge an o-ring. In fact one of the other divers I saw using ti later had a leak.

I'm so unconcerned about theft that I leave my wallet/passport etc usually in the top drawer of the nightstand. And I will have a lot of cash since I like to tip in cash since a purser told me once that the she distributes that to the crew immediately after we disembark vs. them having to wait for a check from their corporate office which can take weeks in some ports.

I also carry a couple extra lights, etc. - mine are usually better than the ship rentals. I have never had to ask for one back at the end of the week that I've loaned out,

I used to occasionally swap gear with others on the boat for one dive to see if I liked theirs better - now mine is all dialed in.

We often exchange contact info with people we like on the trip for future plans - there's a group of NYC doctors I hope to dive with again.

If there's any better way to dive than on a liveaboard I have yet to find it.

Last edited:
i also don't take my nicest gear on vacation, but mainly because i don't trust airlines.

You have two sets of gear, one really good and one not so good for vacation diving because you don't trust airlines? And you dive with the crappier gear when you travel?

Two comments- 1) If the airline loses it, you file a claim and you get reimbursed and buy new gear and 2) keep all the important stuff with you in carryon, that's where all the money is anyway- computers, regulators, lights, photography gear. So what if a wetsuit or a couple of booties get misplaced? Yeah losing the BCD would blow but it's not irreplaceable.

As a follow up...’ve yet to be on a LOB that has a safe and it has not been an issue but if anyone feels compelled to have a portable one due to discomfort of having a lot of cash or something, there are great options from Pacsafe. They make some different sizes in different price points. I have one I travel with once in a while and I have the size that also fits a computer but you could also get a smaller 5 liter one for cash and other smaller items. Have a look below. It obviously is just a deterrent but it won’t stop someone with the right tools to snip the stainless steel wires or the cables. These were great when I was traveling overseas and in Airbnbs or even on long overnight flights. Lots of applications. :)

As an aside, if you are not familiar with this company, they make amazing products for travel, especially if you are going to areas prone to petty theft like pickpocketing, bag slashing, etc. Their designs are very thoughtful for the modern traveler given all of our gadgets and very secure. I first used these many years ago while traipsing around Europe for a month.

Shop Portable Safes with Anti-Theft Feature | Pacsafe

In my circle of divers more than 10 of us use Hollis F2 fins, and we have to mark them all to ID the owner otherwise you might struggle to put on your daughter's fins much to the laughter of your buddies, just saying' :D

In my circle of divers more than 10 of us use Hollis F2 fins,
I print out my name on a Brother P-Touch and stick it to the fins. "The Chairman" in black on 3/4" orange tape works well for me. I especially do this on double enders, spools and such. Like @diversteve, a lot of my gear is unique. I've yet to encounter anyone else diving side mount on a LAB.

I met a guy once on Bonaire that had black jetfins - probably one of the most common fins you see.He'd notched them on the end with a small v so he could easily pick out his.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom