Pull Dumps — lose them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the story in this thread was about a pull dump causing a BCD failure and included enough documented cases to make it an issue, that would be one thing.

But a panicked diver improperly using their gear as a reason to never use that particular feature?

I like the pull dump on my Seaquest Balance and it's a lot more convenient than having to lift that freaking hose over my head.

I'll stick with it, thanks.

I truly believe pull dumps cause more potential for problems than they can cure and they fall deeply into the "gear solution for a skills problem" camp.

For rec diving, not saying I would add an inflator pull dump, but if I was diving a rig that had one, would I replace it if it wasn't broken? No. YMMV :)

I truly believe pull dumps cause more potential for problems than they can cure and they fall deeply into the "gear solution for a skills problem" camp. To each their own. :)
That's a non sequitur. Most gear used today isn't really solving a specific problem. Unless you count making your diving more enjoyable and easier as a problem to be solved.

If the story in this thread was about a pull dump causing a BCD failure and included enough documented cases to make it an issue, that would be one thing.

But a panicked diver improperly using their gear as a reason to never use that particular feature?

I like the pull dump on my Seaquest Balance and it's a lot more convenient than having to lift that freaking hose over my head.

I'll stick with it, thanks.

The other reason I suggest the Elbow is that the little rubber diaphragm is a failure point easily gotten rid of.

I truly believe pull dumps cause more potential for problems than they can cure and they fall deeply into the "gear solution for a skills problem" camp. To each their own. :)
I just added one to my cold water wing :) Unless I have to raise the inflator hose to dump "lots of" air, it stays under a loop of bungee on my left chest D ring. When in horizontal trim, I really dislike having to go head down and roll to the right to dump from the rear wing pull dump. Not a skills issue, just a strong preference for recreational diving.

Back
Top Bottom