I need a scatterbrain-proof system. Any one have their own?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an *awesome* idea. Virtual diving.

And doing it near-naked with your wife sounds like a good bonding experience.

My wife and i GO THROUGH A RUTUAL one bag at a time. we grab our bag and do a mock suit up. We start VIRTUALLY naked. in goes the suit then the skin then the wet suit and booties, fins mask, and perhaps a hood. Then we virtually set up our gear . in goes tested BCD, in goes the regs in goes the computers and testers. In goes the weights. We then virtually get out of the water.. In goes the towels in goes the log books in goes a wet bag. Then we VIRTUALLY load the special stuff. In goes the camera stuff ect. Done bag goes into the car. Do the same for the other persons dive bag. and in to the car. Then the same process goes for site stuff. tarp food, changing room. butt wipe, cloths drying lines repair kit etc.

Use a check list and once the filled bag gets in the car you do not touch it again till you are setting up for real., open the bag for any reason and it is done in the house and you redo the process prior to returning the bag to the car.

PERFECT.

I'm picturing the guy ready to splash off the dive boat, filled with about 20 other dives, all geared up, and one pretty secretary type with the black eyeglass frames, the smart looking blouse and dress, whose got the clipboard in her hands and is rattling off each piece of gear while he says "check!"

That way I can laminate all the fish.

You going to carry it with you on the boat and on shore dives?

So you mean when the knob is literally facing you... so it's perpendicular to you?
I never really worry about it. Put your reg on, turn the knob all the way. If you can breathe 4 or 5 good breaths from the reg, it's on. If you can't then turn it all the way the other way and try again. Still doesn't work? tank empty or reg busted.

When you're geared up and about to jump off the boat.. breathe several more big breaths to make sure it's still on. Some dive-masters like to turn the valve when you're walking to the back of the boat. You have to make sure they didn't turn you off by mistake.

That whole "3/4 turn back" stuff that some people quote is an un-necessary carryover from welding. Don't do that. Just turn the valve all the way on and then dive.

So THAT'S what those things are! I've seen divers with them and wondered what they were.

There are divers who have forgotten gear and divers who are going to forget gear.

There are divers who have lost gear at depth (due to unclipping, dropping, broken retractor, etc) and those divers who are going to lose gear during a dive.

A pony necklace is a big piece of tubular rubber that is attached to the mouthpiece of a secondary regulator (either an octo, attached to a pony bottle or another cylinder) and the necklace keeps it right below your chin so it's immediately available in an emergency.

View attachment 452268

So THAT'S what those things are! I've seen divers with them and wondered what they were.

There's no better place for a backup regulator than 6" from your mouth.

Good to know... I've heard that from instructors and always wondered... why? What's wrong with "all the way open"? I understand now it's a holdover. Thanks!

I never really worry about it. Put your reg on, turn the knob all the way. If you can breathe 4 or 5 good breaths from the reg, it's on. If you can't then turn it all the way the other way and try again. Still doesn't work? tank empty or reg busted.

When you're geared up and about to jump off the boat.. breathe several more big breaths to make sure it's still on. Some dive-masters like to turn the valve when you're walking to the back of the boat. You have to make sure they didn't turn you off by mistake.

That whole "3/4 turn back" stuff that some people quote is an un-necessary carryover from welding. Don't do that. Just turn the valve all the way on and then dive.

Good to know... I've heard that from instructors and always wondered... why? What's wrong with "all the way open"? I understand now it's a holdover. Thanks!

Even though the "quarter turn back" of the tank valve is a holdover with no real purpose nowadays, there is one advantage that I've read about.

If the valve is left full open, and it's a bit tight, the DM or whoever is checking the valve might not know it's open because when they start to twist it closed it doesn't rotate, so they really put the grip on it and try to force it open (when it's already open). At the very least it's an inconvenience to the person who is checking every diver as they splash but it can't be good for the valve to have someone try to forcefully open it when it's already open, if that makes sense.

KISS and consistent.
-I always dive the same mix locally.
-I have the same gear just vary wet suit thickness.
I have a check list on my phone on what t bring. Last thing I look at before leaving the dock.
I have a fixed ritual before I splash. Puff of air to BCD to make sure it is connected. Look at feet and weigh belt for fins and weights. Take 4 puff of air from reg while looking at the SPG. Puffs of air without looking at SPG are meaningless safety wise. If the needle moves tank is not open all the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom