I need a scatterbrain-proof system. Any one have their own?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as you're not headed someplace really remote...go ahead make a packing list, but no need to really fret about it. If you happen to forget something, you can rent it or buy it when you get there. It's not worth ruining your trip worrying about it. On the boat...don't rush. The water ain't going anywhere and there is always another dive, just be considerate of others and position yourself so they can get off the boat. Do your buddy check. Use whatever mnemonic that went with your training (BWRAF comes to mind :)). It's a good check and it gets another brain involved. Try to relax and have fun. Worry and tension are not your friends when diving. With more experience things will slow down. Have fun. :)

I have a fixed ritual before I splash.

Even with fixed rituals, steps can be forgotten.

I've got a ritual where after I slip into my rig and clip the chest and hip buckles of the BCD, I then slip the pony reg necklace over my head. Except for when I forgot that particular step in my ritual and I end up dragging my pony reg around for all or part of the dive.

So you mean when the knob is literally facing you... so it's perpendicular to you?

I guess it all depends on how you want to look at it.

We start VIRTUALLY naked. in goes the suit then the skin then the wet suit and booties, fins mask, and perhaps a hood. Then we virtually set up our gear . in goes tested BCD, in goes the regs in goes the computers and testers. In goes the weights. We then virtually get out of the water.. In goes the towels in goes the log books in goes a wet bag. Then we VIRTUALLY load the special stuff. In goes the camera stuff ect. Done bag goes into the car. Do the same for the other persons dive bag. and in to the car. Then the same process goes for site stuff. tarp food, changing room. butt wipe, cloths drying lines repair kit etc.
I`m using that way between hotel and boat. Or when I collect equipment to the trip.
Starts to think from bottom: Fins - taken, boots, socks, wetsuit, hat (I do not like hood), than follow to opposite side for equipment: mask - taken, mouthpiece->regulator (both, left and right, I prefer use two), harness and wing. left pocket (buoy), right pocket (empty, for loot), left knife, right scissors, left hand - empty or compass, right hand - computer or watches and depthmeter, doublenders or Al. carabines. left hand - camera and/or lamps. and last - two tank strappings.

When I go to the trip and starting to collect all gear - I just use list of paper. First column - clothes (ALL! including dressed). Second - equipment. third - medicine. fourth - tools (like multitools, antimosquito, pieces of cooper wire - very usefull thing, lighters, plastic fast ties, adhesive tapes, etc.).
When I think, that nothing forgotten - I takes LAST YEAR list! :) (I store all documents from at least 5 years old) and previous, to compare and check, what I forget :)

I don't have time to read all the posts as we are in the middle of moving (probably a 3 month project), so I'm constantly packing and sorting, etc. But this may help--
For local dives (shore or boat may differ slightly as to what you bring)---Have a set place where you keep everything that goes. Scuba equipment may vary a bit with shore vs. charter. When you pack and the set place is empty, you haven't forgotten anything.

For trips (scuba or any kind of trip)-- Start a pile of stuff you know you'll need the minute you plan the trip. For example:
We usually "snowbird" to Florida mid winter. Within days of our return in early Spring, I begin my pile of stuff for my usual July trip to New York. Yes, at times I have forgotten an item (one year my pillow for the trailer, for example), but rarely. Of course, some things you intend to bring will no doubt be needed at home up until the actual trip departure. This is where a list of those things comes in handy.

Thanks!

As long as you're not headed someplace really remote...go ahead make a packing list, but no need to really fret about it. If you happen to forget something, you can rent it or buy it when you get there. It's not worth ruining your trip worrying about it. On the boat...don't rush. The water ain't going anywhere and there is always another dive, just be considerate of others and position yourself so they can get off the boat. Do your buddy check. Use whatever mnemonic that went with your training (BWRAF comes to mind :)). It's a good check and it gets another brain involved. Try to relax and have fun. Worry and tension are not your friends when diving. With more experience things will slow down. Have fun. :)

Hmmm... that does make sense

Even though the "quarter turn back" of the tank valve is a holdover with no real purpose nowadays, there is one advantage that I've read about.

If the valve is left full open, and it's a bit tight, the DM or whoever is checking the valve might not know it's open because when they start to twist it closed it doesn't rotate, so they really put the grip on it and try to force it open (when it's already open). At the very least it's an inconvenience to the person who is checking every diver as they splash but it can't be good for the valve to have someone try to forcefully open it when it's already open, if that makes sense.

1. I try to pack my gear for a trip only the day before. If I start packing a week early, I’ll pack a little at a time and forget something.
2. In packing gear for the trip, packing the gear bag for the boat, and last minute check before splashing, I do the following visualization: I start from my feet and work up: fins? check. Boots? Check? Wetsuit, bcd weights, etc.
3. My usual dive buddy is even more OCD than me. I get a very thorough buddy check. I usually have 2 computers and 2 masks, and I can count on him having 3 of everything.

This is a great idea-- put it on the phone..,

And the 4 puffs of air is a good idea.. I admit that while I look at my pressure gauge plenty underwater, I don't double check before entry. I will now.

KISS and consistent.
-I always dive the same mix locally.
-I have the same gear just vary wet suit thickness.
I have a check list on my phone on what t bring. Last thing I look at before leaving the dock.
I have a fixed ritual before I splash. Puff of air to BCD to make sure it is connected. Look at feet and weigh belt for fins and weights. Take 4 puff of air from reg while looking at the SPG. Puffs of air without looking at SPG are meaningless safety wise. If the needle moves tank is not open all the way.

The feet up visualization sounds like a good idea.

(and I'll look for an OCD buddy)

1. I try to pack my gear for a trip only the day before. If I start packing a week early, I’ll pack a little at a time and forget something.
2. In packing gear for the trip, packing the gear bag for the boat, and last minute check before splashing, I do the following visualization: I start from my feet and work up: fins? check. Boots? Check? Wetsuit, bcd weights, etc.
3. My usual dive buddy is even more OCD than me. I get a very thorough buddy check. I usually have 2 computers and 2 masks, and I can count on him having 3 of everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom