Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You really have never heard of rust?????
Sure have, but I haven't heard that rust produces carbon monoxide. Could you link an article or info documenting that?

TC:
Sure have, but I haven't heard that rust produces carbon monoxide. Could you link an article or info documenting that?
Are you saying rust produces carbon monoxide?
I didn't mean CO specifically, and I do see I should have noted that. I was referring to the process of iron oxidation reducing O2 over time, which is why a rusting steel tank can be dangerous/hypoxic/invite dci. But not CO, no.

TC:
It was a study conducted by the University of Rhode Island in 1978. The link I have is no longer valid but you can find references to it in this thread:
Scuba Cylinder Long-Term Storage: Fact and Fiction
I have personal experience of the results of this reaction.

The safe thing is to just check it before putting the reg on and using the tank.

Yes there are all sorts or reasons on both sides of hte argument as to test or trust. You each have to weigh the chances of you getting a wrong tank. It only takes a bc check valve or some other minor problem to get the wrong gas in your tank. Then you have consider are you diving in a environment that will make a mistake bite you. Face it if you wanted air and you ended up with a tank of 32 and you are doing dives in 40- ft the chance of getting bit is very low. On e the other hand if you are doing dives to 120 ft you better know that if you wanted 32 you do not have a higher mix of say 36 or 40. If yo know your filling shop and the filler and they have banked 32 or custom fills that you will most likely have a tank with 32 in it. There are always forseeable mistakes that you can plan for. given a situation. shop does not do nitrox but will do custom trimix. you tank goes in 10 min later your tank comes out what is in the tank. trimix takes much longer thatn 10 min to do. and if you have trimix of say a 28% O2 then would you even know it on a 50 ft dive. There are pros and cons wither way. Again the safest is to just check it your self with your own meter not the shops. If there is a difference ask why. one meter is wrong so its a worthy observation. I had that happen to me in COZ their meter said 32 and mine said 28. rechecked mine state side and it said 32 on the shops fills and agreed with the shop meter. COZ had a bad meter. What ever you do, what ever decision yo make do it with facts cause you cant blame your demise on anyone else.

TC:
I'll have to disagree, if the gas is being monitored before it is banked or sent to the tank there's really no need.
Every where I have gotten a nitrox fill, I had to sign a sheet saying what the mix is. Many years ago when I took my nitrox class we were told it's a requirement to analyze your own tanks. Plus I usually have air left in my tank which changes the percentage, unless the shop doesn't have banked nitrox or a nitrox stick. In that case I have to empty my tank.

Every where I have gotten a nitrox fill, I had to sign a sheet saying what the mix is. Many years ago when I took my nitrox class we were told it's a requirement to analyze your own tanks. Plus I usually have air left in my tank which changes the percentage, unless the shop doesn't have banked nitrox or a nitrox stick. In that case I have to empty my tank.
The inline monitoring that is being discussed is for CO which is confusing the discussion on O2. You always need to check your Nitrox before you dive it.

Absolutely correct. But my post was about CARBON MONOXIDE analysis, not Oxygen.

Folks, the thread title relates to Oxygen analysis but the earlier posts split into discussion of both O2 and CO analysis, if you look at the earlier posts in the thread It will help avoid further nonsensical replies.

Back
Top Bottom