Newbie in Wisconsin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rock lake is not really diver friendly....and the "Pyramids"..are just a pile of rocks. The local DNR LEO guy is a real piece of work...just not worth the harrassment.

bubs

Thanks! We were lucky to find a good deal on the 70th anniversary version that was on closeout. Was only a "few" dollars more than a Core LX.

That is the way we are leaning as well. My wife is pretty sold on the "Farmer Jane" setup. She doesn't want to deal with the extra techniques for dry suit right away, plus the money. She also is a big fan of having two separate pieces that you can use individually if its not so cold. I'm much warmer blooded and I see value in owning both in the long run. So that is probably the short term plan for the next 12 months. Money will become a lot more free after that (no more student loans), and upgrading to new drysuits won't be a strain at all then.
Instead of the farmer Jane what about a fullbone piece and a shorty to go on top this is a popular option I see coming around nowadays

Rock lake is not really diver friendly....and the "Pyramids"..are just a pile of rocks. The local DNR LEO guy is a real piece of work...just not worth the harrassment.

bubs
Thanks for the advice,I was seriously considering this. I assume you have first hand knowledge of the dnr guy, have you also seen the rock piles in person? From what I’ve heard they are difficult to locate and also when found they seem to get lost again. I’m not all that familiar with wisconsin however this still makes for an interesting story.

Thanks for the advice,I was seriously considering this. I assume you have first hand knowledge of the dnr guy, have you also seen the rock piles in person? From what I’ve heard they are difficult to locate and also when found they seem to get lost again. I’m not all that familiar with wisconsin however this still makes for an interesting story.

Yes...and yes. I spent the last 5 years working at a local scuba shop, and live in Watertown, about 25 mins from Rock lake.

Bubs

Not worth missing good dive opportunities because you are nervous about a back roll. My other bit of advice for the Lake Michigan dives, unless you are positive you don't get seasick, is to take Bonine or other similar seasickness medicine before you get to the boat. Being seasick is awful, and it is very hard to convince yourself to get off the boat to go diving if you are seasick.

I am not too concerned about learning to back roll, but definitely worth noting so we know what to expect! My wife may have an unusual fear of turtles, but overall she is a stubborn badass who loves trying new things, so she's excited to learn another skill.

We got seasick on our second dive... I had the will to get back in and get under the waves, but my wife wasn't ready to tackle throwing up through her regulator on our second dive ever. So we sat topside and fed the fish for that dive. We very quickly sourced some less drowsy dramamine for our subsequent dives.

We just booked at least 12 dives with Rainbow Reef Key Largo in early May to get our fix until the water warms up here in Wisconsin. Their package prices are impressive!

I know the most common suggestion was "just dive, dont waste your time in a classroom", but RR does an AOW class for a fee added to your regular dive trip cost, and they say all the book work is done before you arrive (sounds just like our OW course). So we opted in for that. Getting some extra guided experience with some of the more technical open water skills for $160 more seems like a no brainer. I realize we may be too green to fully appreciate it all, but I feel more comfortable having more information than less. Also, the ability to qualify for some more difficult dives with charters in the future seems to be of benefit as well.

My wife may have an unusual fear of turtles,
You'd be lucky to see a turtle on a local dive. I've seen them at Ginnie Springs, and more recently, and locally, at Devil's Lake State Park. I needed my scooter to keep up with the one at Devil's Lake. Neither of these sightings were snapping turtles.

You'd be lucky to see a turtle on a local dive. I've seen them at Ginnie Springs, and more recently, and locally, at Devil's Lake State Park. I needed my scooter to keep up with the one at Devil's Lake. Neither of these sightings were snapping turtles.

Good to know, thanks! She knows fear doesn't necessarily translate to reality... but its till there. We will work on it. Input from others saying it isn't a problem won't hurt. She likes sea turtles! Haha.

at Devil's Lake State Park. I needed my scooter to keep up with the one at Devil's Lake.

How do you like Devil's Lake? I've heard visibility is pretty good, but getting swimmer's itch is SUPER common there. What's your take?

How do you like Devil's Lake? I've heard visibility is pretty good, but getting swimmer's itch is SUPER common there. What's your take?
I've only been diving at Devil's six times. Five in the past 3 years, and once in 1992. The visibility is usually OK, and there are fish that are used to divers. The area along the train tracks is relatively shallow (15-20ft), and offers fair access to the water. The park gets REALLY busy on weekends, but if you are parked before 10am, it usually isn't a problem. I have been there when there are dive flags as far as the eye can see on the North Shore. I usually scooter, so if it is really busy, we just take a compass heading and go to the other side of the lake. Check the Diversion's Scuba facebook page, or call them for updates on conditions. There is a group of divers from Madison that frequents Devil's Lake. I just looked through my logbook, and I've had my drysuit on for every dive except the one in 1992, so swimmers itch hasn't been a problem for me. I haven't heard others talk about getting it, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom