Bpw setup for Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or you could re-thread his BP for him and just present it to him already done...

get him to suck it up for 5 days and then go back?

I'll work on it, but gone are the days when I had him in the palm of my hands. :oops:

Talking to the instructor is a great idea. My guess is that a lot of the instructors would want your hubby to try to let them (the instructor) to work with your hubby's harness/fit before resorting to an alternate solution, but if your hubby really does have an issue *that can not be addressed via adjustments* the instructor will work with him on solutions.

I once took a GUE class with a buddy who had a physical challenge requiring a slight modification to their valve drill. It was not the end of the world; all of the other requirements were the same but there was a slight change to how the drill was performed. From my experience, the vast majority of GUE instructors are actually very reasonable human beings. It has also been my experience that the leadership levels of the group don't condone a dogmatic approach. Yes, there are performance and equipment standards. Most people who take fundies walk away from the class with an appreciation (or at minimum, an understanding) for the reasons behind the equipment standardization, and respect those reasons, even if they don't choose to continue to pursue GUE training (or diving with GUE folk).

As an aside, the two people I consider my primary dive buddies (current and past) are both cave divers whose open circuit kit happens to be completely consistent with the GUE setup - they just dive a standard Hogarthian rig.

Good luck getting your husband to sign up! It's a great learning experience.

Kate

I think the answer to my question is: settle on an instructor and ask him/her!

:D Thanks guys!!!

Thinking ahead here, so I don’t have a specific GUE instructor to ask yet.

According to the GUE website,

The GUE base equipment configuration is comprised of:

Backplate system:

Should be held to the diver by one continuous piece of webbing. This webbing should be adjustable and should use a buckle to secure the system at the waist.

Is it possible, for example, to have “one piece of continuous webbing” with a sternum strap? I know it’s a failure point but...

Just wondering if anyone was allowed minor gear modifications for Fundies. I doubt it but thought I’d ask anyway.

The foundation of the system is Hogarthian. That means that you add ZERO bells or whistles that are not required for FUNCTIONAL reasons. I haven't followed DIR dogma on the internet for a while but the last time checked any deviations from the prescribed configuration were not allowed. In DIR, as far as I can remember, the diver needs to be flexible element in the system.

R..

I think lv2dive has it right. The instructor will work with him to try to find a solution. Of course, gear and performance standards have to be met. Often, it's not the first time they've encountered someone facing a particular issue, and they have some tricks up their sleeve to help make things work. I know and have taken courses/workshops/gone diving with all of your local potential GUE instructors, and they are all very reasonable human beings and very helpful and informative.

Good luck!

I'll echo the idea of letting the instructor work with them first.

That being said, I knew a guy that took two small bolt snaps and tied the two ends together with bungee. Clipped to the shoulder d-rings, it functioned as a makeshift chest strap for when he needed to carry tanks through the jungle. If the instructor can't get a standard harness to work, it's a cheap and effective way to keep the shoulder straps together.

There are three GUE instructors in Ontario: Toronto, St Catherines, Brock/Ottawa area. Any one of them would offer you advice if asked. (Contact info on GUE website). The Toronto instructor, Heison, has been at the Scuba Swap the last few years and has put on a harness fitting clinic. Not sure what his plans are this year, but the Swap is at the end of the month.
ScubaSwap.org - Home
I will be at the upcoming Scuba Swap on April 28, happy to to offer another harness fitting clinic.

He can just cross the straps behind his neck.

Last edited:
For Fundamentals, rather than brand specific we are looking for philosophy compliant equipment and configuration. @Dogbowl, feel free to get in touch, I like to help your husband figure something out, with compelling reasons to adopt for added safety and longer term enjoyment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom