Womens bcd sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karapuppy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm looking to buy a female specific bcd and no local shops in the se of england seem to have them for me to try.
What is the most important measurement for proper fit? I have only used mens/unisex and wore an xs. I am 5'10, 125 pounds with a natural waist of 24" and waist to top of shoulder measurement of 13.5". I don't seem to fit into any of the size categories. I am looking at the zena, ladyhawk or lotus. Welcome any sizing tips.
Thanks!

While i do agree with some, who think SB is tooo much about BP and wings... Please but BPW on your list of what you need to try. While I am a bit fatter than you, I am 5'11". My experience with "normal" bcds, Ie those with cumberbunds and stuff was that if you have an incling of a waist, no matter how much you tighten those straps, the bcd will ride up under your armpits sooner than you can say ocean. A BPW has room for butts, hips, boobs, an d keeps your head above water when needed.

The other ladybcdstuff, I know nothing about... I am never giving up my plate :D

Really all of the measurements are important for proper fit. Unfortunately, it's very hard to choose a BC by measurements alone because all of the women's BC's fit differently. The chest measurement is definitely important, and some women's BC's are more or less accommodating or fit just right (or not) for some body types as opposed to others. It's best to try on a BC and better yet to try it in the water before you buy to see how comfortable it is for you.

Having said that, I used to have a women's BC which I loved (the Genesis Athena which is long gone), and when it was time to replace it, I bought a backplate and wing (Halcyon Eclipse, but there are many cheaper brands) and never looked back. A bp and wing is infinitely adjustable and fits all body types and requires no measurement taking. You would simply take a standard size backplate and wing, simply derived by your height.

Good luck in your search! :)

I agree with Imla, give BPW at least a try. Check with Meredith Tanguay or Lauren Kieren who are both experts in BPW fitting in Florida.

I agree with Imla, give BPW at least a try. Check with Meredith Tanguay or Lauren Kieren who are both experts in BPW fitting in Florida.

"no local shops in the se of england seem to have them for me to try".

Bp/w. If you can get yourself to Vobster, I have one I could loan you for the day to try out

Hi, I'm looking to buy a female specific bcd and no local shops in the se of england seem to have them for me to try.
What is the most important measurement for proper fit? I have only used mens/unisex and wore an xs. I am 5'10, 125 pounds with a natural waist of 24" and waist to top of shoulder measurement of 13.5". I don't seem to fit into any of the size categories. I am looking at the zena, ladyhawk or lotus. Welcome any sizing tips.
Thanks!
I am also xs and ordered lotus, thought and tried a lot but here not zeagle or so, I woud love to try one, reviews are good about both of them

I would get in touch with Zeagle and ask if they can put together a Zena BC that will work with your measurements. The Zena's are built to be able to change out the pieces to accommodate different figures. I love mine. Also, I would probably add a crotch strap to any BC to make it stay in place. I don't have any experience with BP/W but that sounds like a good option too. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom