Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The coldest water I've dived in was 9°C so a leak wasn't life threatening. I've had a few that filled the legs of my suit with water. I was OK during the dive but the exit was interesting. I have the same problem with wrist tendons allowing water in the wrist seals so I prefer to dive without them. The 720s are the only glove I've found to be long enough so they don't pop off when I reach for things. They also stretch and are puncture resistant but the biggest plus for me is they are seamless inside so they don't allow water between the glove and ring.

Last edited:
Well, I've seriously considered trying out the nitrile 720s. I just have to get over my vanity and live with yet another color on my gear :cool:

Ooohhh... I get it. :) Don't blame you. :)

The 720s are a bit warmer, softer, stretchier, more flexible, and more puncture resistant... But let's face it - none of those things can make you feel good about the color if it's not your thing. :)

It seems as if there's at least one brick and mortar store selling Showa gloves in my town, so I think I'll just pop by :)

Did it go okay? The 720s are pretty new... And the 281s and 282s are even newer. They may be tough to find.

OTOH, what about the stink after about two dozen dives? And since I'm heck-bent on using wool whenever I risk getting damp or wet, I think I prefer thin knitted wool gloves as liners.

Cool! Nothing wrong with wool... Which, like synthetics, is non-absorbent... Although I'm pretty partial to Fourth Element's fully-synthetic fabrics, including the very thin and svelte Xerotherm glove liners. According to FourthE, they're made of, "53% Polyester / 38% Nylon / 9% Elastane."

The stink in your 620s comes from a perspiration-absorbent cotton liner. The 660s suffer from the same issue.

The 720s, the 281s, and the 282s all have non-absorbent acrylic liners that won't stink over time.

Just switched from the old DC system (which I still have a bunch of spares laying around) to Ultima, dove in 37ºF/2.7ºC without issues. However, I did find the rings harder to don in colder temperature (23ºF/-5ºC)... Anyone else with similar issue?

No, but I've only had them down to 27°F air and 38° F water temps. The Ultimas snapped onto the suitside ring just like any other temperature.

Do they get weird colder than that?

Just switched from the old DC system (which I still have a bunch of spares laying around) to Ultima, dove in 37ºF/2.7ºC without issues. However, I did find the rings harder to don in colder temperature (23ºF/-5ºC)... Anyone else with similar issue?
Why did you switch? I'm currently using the Diving Concepts rings after removing the SiTech oval rings.

Why did you switch? I'm currently using the Diving Concepts rings after removing the SiTech oval rings.

* getting replacement O-ring becomes more difficult
* removal of the ring system often dislodge the beauty ring
* beauty ring degraded and leaving black marks

I had SiTech QCP; tried Oval, didn't like it - settled with DC for it's smaller size (around the same time when Diving Concepts disappeared)

Hi Manta. I wanted to say a big 'thank you!' for all the posting you have been doing on the dry gloves. It has been a HUGE help to me recently. I'm ordering a new drysuit from DUI today, and I'm looking into drygloves for the first time. I've always dived with wet gloves (Monterey, CA), and have been okay (silicone wrist seals in my older suit). Now I want to have the option of going to dry gloves when I want to. I have a couple of questions, if you wouldn't mind answering...I'd buy you a few beers,.. if you were here!

1) DUI says they will put on Si Tech seals, if I want them, which is nice to hear. I have the Quick Cuff system on my old DS, with round suit rings ( I like them just fine) - My question is, will the round DS suit QC rings accept the Ultima glove rings? I want to order the round Si Tech QC wrist seals, but use the WP Ultima system.

2) With the Ultima drygloves installed, and wearing silicone wrist seals, will I need to trim the wrist seals back so as not to interfere with the dryglove rings?

BTW - I LOVE your idea for the exhaust valve too! I will incorporate that in this new suit - my Si Tech dump valve is a PITA getting under my harness. I'd love it to be lower profile. Your insights in this area are much appreciated.

Thank you so much for listening! and Safe diving!

Last edited:
Hey Jeff!

Call me SeaJay. I've been around on this board for a very long time. :)

These are super-great questions... And I'm thrilled that you're finding the discussion useful. Yeah, it's little things like this that every drysuit owner has to learn the hard (and expensive) way... So I'm thrilled to help you shortcut that as much as possible.

1. Yes, DUI will install SiTech rings, which is great. To be able to add the Waterproof Ultima dryglove rings, you will need the SiTech QCS Oval rings. So no... The Ultima dryglove rings will NOT fit the SiTech QCP Round rings.

The hard plastic ring that makes the QCS oval and the QCP round is removed and replaced by the Waterproof Ultima dryglove ring... Which is round. So even if you order the QCS, you will end up with a round ring once you install the Waterproof Ultima dryglove ring. The hard, oval ring of the QCS system is discarded when you install the Ultimas.

The reason that you MUST go with the QCS and not the QCP is because the Waterproof Ultima dryglove rings do not fit on the rubber receptacle that is glued to the suit with the QCP rings. Yes, the rubber receptacle is different between the QCS and the QCP - which adds a lot of confusion. The QCS is required for the Waterproof Ultima dryglove rings to fit.

...So tell DUI that you want QCS Ovals installed. They'll be round once you install the Ultima rings.

For those of you reading this that have QCP rings installed, you can not use Waterproof Ultima rings and instead need to use SiTech's Quick Glove, which is larger and arguably less secure than the Waterproof Ultima rings.

...Or you can simply have the QCPs replaced with a set of QCS Ovals.

2. The Waterproof Ultima rings are DESIGNED to be used with wrist seals. They work perfectly with both seals and gloves installed simultaneously, and there is no need for any unusual trimming. I fully recommend using SiTech silicone wrist seals in this case, coupled with SHOWA 720 gloves. The silicone seals are softer and more flexible than their latex counterparts, and won't degrade in sunlight or with exposure to ozone like latex does. Unlike what I've read here, I find silicone lasts LONGER than latex for this reason. Yes, they're softer than latex, so you've got to be gentler donning and doffing... But do that, and silicone will outlast latex all day long

I simply trimmed my silicone wrist seals back (all the way to the ring) because I felt that the seals were doing me no good anyway, and I found it easier to don and doff the suit with them trimmed all the way back. I would have removed them altogether except that they do need to be present to help the rings seal properly... So a full trim it was.

...But no, you do not need to trim them all the way back as I did if you don't want to. If you prefer the extra security of the gloves AND a wrist seal - or if you want to leave the wrist seals in place so you have the option of using a wet glove - you can keep them. It works great. :)

Seajay - Your fast response has saved me from a fatal, or at least, a costly mistake!!! Thank you!!!

I'm ready to hit the road to go have my measurements done, and would've asked for the very same rings I have on my USIA suit - the QCPs!!! I owe you big time! I did read all of the posts on this thread, but somehow came away thinking I could use the round rings of the QCP...glad I asked you!

QCS Ovals it is then! I'd like to take you up on your offer to get the glove samples from Showa, the 720s, as I think they will be great for me. In looking at the MDF tool that was mentioned earlier in the thread, I have an idea for a simpler one, one that can go in your dive box with you...when I make it, I'll test it and post the results.

Happy diving all!

Oh man - I sure would love to see a PORTABLE tool that could load the gloves... That'd be awesome!

Meanwhile, I'm building out a new workspace now - and am adding to the workbench a wood disk exclusively for loading gloves on rings. If you've got something better, I'm all about it!

Glad to know that our posts have saved you the heartache and cost. Sooo many variables... Sooo many tiny things make such a huge difference!

Looking forward to your review, h53driver!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom