NY Diver back in the sport after 12 yrs off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRN6559

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
I’m a Basic Open Water & Nitrox certified diver near Albany, NY that was certified in 2002 with SSI, then Nitrox certified thru PADI shortly afterwards.
I’ve dove Lake Skaneateles, Alexander Bay, a reservoir near Munnsville, NY and do e a charter in Marathon in the Florida Keys as well. Loved it all.
Getting back into it after a 12 yr hiatus of rock climbing and RN nursing college for 4 yrs.
Looking to start diving again this summer after I get all my gear back together.
Want to do my Advanced Open Water this year as well.
Looking to dive locally this summer - Lake George, Sacandaga, etc. - and resharpen my skills again.
I used to dive, collect and rebuilt Aqua Lung double hose regs too at one time as well. Totally rebuilt - new cages, valves, seats, diaphragms, pressure tests, tuning. Was fun but they didn’t breathe so hot!
I have dove recreational rigs, DIR. I choose to dive a modified DIR rig now. Single tank. Wetsuit, etc. Haven’t ventured deeper than 60 feet thus far.
Looking to meet some local divers for some easy dives to get back into it again.

Welcome back! I left the Capital District before I began diving (lived in Guilderland for 17 years).

As to DH regs breathing bad... A bunch has happened over the last decade, and some major aftermarket parts are available to really make them shine. Check out Vintage Double Hose for a whole bunch about what you can now do with them. There is also really nice modern model - the Argonaut Kraken.

I use them regularly in the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence, and this week in Curacao.

Cheers!

Really?
I heard the double hose regs that Aqua Lung reintroduced within the last 10 yrs or so using the Titan First stage were overpriced and later discontinued as they just bombed. I heard that wasn’t a super breather because you were basically trying the air through the full corrugated double hose from the first stage just the way it was basically years ag first stage were overpriced and later discontinued as they just bombed. I heard that wasn’t a super breather because you were basically drawing the air through the full corrugated double hose from the first stage just the way it was basically in the 50’s - 70’s.
???

PS What WAS the newest double hose Aqua Lung regulator called anyways?
I don’t even think there’s any to be had any more is there?

The (new) AquaLung is/was a POS.

Here is my 1958-60 DA Aquamaster with modern internals:

30226326_10156125048991221_3186870651369553920_o.jpg

And here is the modern Argonauts Kraken:

ice dive stuff 042.JPG

If you still have the interest, in double hose regs, there is a bunch you can do.

PS I have also done some easy SHALLOW Open Water dives solo just searching for coins and such Or just practicing skills and such alone in water less they 20 ft deep... be extremely wary about it and overly cautious that’s for sure.
Sometimes though I do believe that a diameter can be better off diving solo if experienced or shallow rather than sometimes diving with a total stranger

I am now outside Buffalo NY. Left the Capital District in 1985.

Ahh OK. I wish I still had the schematic and information on the new aqua long double regulator that they released what about 10 or 15 years ago? I guess they were hoping it was going to make a comeback but at the price it was that it wasn’t a big hit I heard and was later discontinued by Aqua Lung completely I guess.
I’m trying to remember how they managed for the second stage to work with the new were model?
????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom