Beginner at CCV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rilelen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My father and I are headed to Cocoview in May (I'm so excited!), and I'm wondering about how to make sure my dad has a good and safe time. He's a very new and inexperienced OW diver with terrible air consumption who still struggles a lot with buoyancy control; he's fairly overweight and needs a lot of weight (even in a 3mm shortie), which doesn't make things any easier. I spoke to the DM privately after the last time I dove with him, and she thought the biggest thing he needed was just more practice (she actually suggested CCV as a place where we might get that). I'm hoping to do the peak performance buoyancy course with him while we're there (I did part of it for AOW, and think he'd benefit a lot from it), but was wondering whether folks had other suggestions for making this a safe and good experience.

I've searched the forums extensively and know it's supposed to be a good destination for beginners, but many of the posts I've seen are generally a more experienced diver accompanying (and to some extent, supervising) a beginner. At only about 20 dives, I'm still quite the beginner myself, and while I feel comfortable in the water, I don't have the skills or experience to watch out for both myself and my father - and I suspect he would not be terribly reliable as a buddy in an emergency situation. I know he won't be able to keep up with the DM on boat dives, due to both air and depth limitations - he's generally down to 1000psi after just half an hour at 30-40'. Would it make sense for us to hire a private DM for some of the dives? Should we stick to the front yard/shore diving? Are there other suggestions you have? He is in good health generally, other than his weight, and his doctor's cleared him for diving.

Hiring a DM is a good idea, esp for the first few dives. When at CCV, I tend not to follow the DM for a few reasons (photography mainly) but doing what I do may be a good option for you. The normal dive is to drop off the ledge, descend to 60-90 ft, follow the ledge until the turn around point, come up to the top of the ledge and follow the ledge back to the boat. I don't drop off the ledge but rather follow along with them, watching their bubbles at the top of the ledge which is in around 35 ft of water. It's easy to keep up with the string of bubbles and the ledge is very to see so there is no getting lost. When the rest returns to the top of the ledge, I rejoin them. This will require you to feel comfortable being just a buddy pair (assuming you don't have a DM) unless someone else is willing to join you. Doing this helps you in a couple ways, first off, the drop off is very deep so buoyancy control is critical, you can very easily go way beyond rec dive depths if you are not careful. A runaway decent can be very bad. Staying up on the reef gives you both a visual reference and a hard bottom you can't go deeper than, you don't want to crash into the reef but it's better to do it at 35 feet than 600 ft. Next, by staying shallow, you can extend his bottom time to hopefully match the rest of the groups. Since they will be diving a lot deeper for the first half of the dive, their use will be a good bit more than if they were on the top of the reef. If you plan to do this, just make sure the DM leading the group understands this is what you intend to do, otherwise he will be looking for you.

I have never been to CCV, so please take this with a grain of salt as my info is coming second hand.

I have a friend who was certified a few years ago, but their diving has been limited to vacations where diving was available, but not the focus of the trip. They would get in one or two days of diving and that was it. If I was to guess, they probably have fewer than 30 logged dives. This spring, they did their first "dive trip" and it was to CCV.

Quite simply, they loved it. They did a mix of boat dives and shore dives, and when they got home, they said that from now on, if they plan on diving at all while on vacation, then they will do a dedicated dive vacation. A trip to CCV was enough to convert them from a person who dives while on vacation to someone who does dive trips.

Again, I have not been there, but from what I have heard, I think that your father will have an amazing time.

safe is always better than sorry. Talk to the staff upon arrival at CCV and have them arrange for a DM to accompany you and your dad on the first couple of days, then reevaluate his performance at that time.

The class would be a good idea and dive dive and dive. CCV does have a course set up at the end of the chain in the front yard. That might not be a bad place to practice.

Thanks all - it sounds like a DM is a solid suggestion (as well as sticking to the top of reef for safety and air conservation). Is that generally easy to arrange on arrival once we're there, or should we give them a head's up before we head down?

That's great to hear, too, about the course set-up in the front yard; spending some time there probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

It will work well. There are several reasons why that will come to be.

The terrain is perfect
When considering the shore dive, which will be your very first dive at CCV, the surface you have to walk on all geared up is hard packed sand, a short 90 staps from the gear-up area to the shore dive entry. From the water to 5' of depth is a sandy path, there you will find something of a picnic table to finish setting up your gear, facemask and all that.

The Front Yard is the dive site that begins immediately after that. NO WALKING from here on out, there's too much life to step on! You are now in a 6 acre area of shallow water that lies shoreside of the wall, basically a swimming pool that maxes out in 15fsw. You could spend the entire day at this depth and environ, I have many times. Lots of stuff to see and- run out of air? No, you'll get hungry first, but if you do suck it dry? Stand up.

Beyond this shore dive entry zone of the Front Yard lies the Channel which holds the Prince Albert Wreck, an intact upright purpose sunk 140' tanker lying nosed into 35' at sand to the stern at 65fsw. She tops out in 22'. You could spend many days just on her alone, again- I have. Get to know her well, it's your best night dive.

To the "left" (East) begins two divergent walls, Coco View and Newmans Wall. The break vertically at heads in 2-25' of water and have a sand shelf at 90fsw. Past that it gets to 3000' pretty quick, so look out and down for Mr. Grey.

All of the dive sites are pretty similar in the same natural design. Moor just offshore in 30fsw over flat reef, just beyond- the wall breaks vertical in 35-40', straight down to that 90' sand shelf. You can dive this any way you wish or the way your physical abilities dictate. In all my many dives at CCV, I have only rarely gone past 65', and that was only at the beckoning of a DM who had found some critter of delight. My usual moored dive profile at CCV results in poking around at the vertical break, rarely going past 50fsw. I'm guessing that my graph would average out to a 25' average over the entire dive.

I have heard comments about "currents", but in 35 years of diving CCV, I really don't recall anything that would qualify- not after 58 years of diving, anyway. You may get some occasional surge, but that is rare and is a basic SCUBA skill that should be mastered by all. At CCV, if you are really so inept as to run low on air, go back and to the boat and play under there at 25', be surprised at what you'll see. (I've seen Oarfish pairs while waiting for the group) If you are doing a shore dive and run short, you need some skills work, but in the mean time, head North. When your head whomps into a rosk, stand up, there will be all the air you need right above you. Anybody that dives the South side deep is missing the point of what this Sun drenched nursery has to offer.

Moored dives are limited to 1 hour so that the human gill-fish don't keep you on the boat for their extra 45 minutes they squeeze out of a tank. On the way home, you can do a Drop Off Dive which is a swim in along Newmans or CCV wall, past the wreck, then right turn (North) into the Front Yard and food.

I mention this in your situation most especially because you can ask the DM to drop you anywhere, either wall (just ask) or whatever crazy distance you want to swim (an "Enduro Dive" is only for the aforementioned "gill people"). Here's the thing for you- let everybody else plop in along the wall, you can ask for a short dive, or what I do- ask to be tossed in right above the Prince Albert Wreck. Dad will find it comfortingly familiar, shallow with a max of 45' of a lot of nosing around looking for critters, or an adventurous look at 65' under the rudder. Then... find the anchor chain and follow it back to... you guessed it- food.

In short, the terrain is commodious for noobs. This should be his 'night dive' opportunity. Do not miss it.

The Infrastructure
Look at the boats and the "wet rooms" (aka lock-less gear lockers). From the exit points to the recovery ladders, these are the best in the business. Where else do you find the center Moon Well ladders? No-slosh camera tanks and boats that theoretically could hold 65 divers that are only loaded with 15-17 max. Fresh water showers and only two steps to make, or a ramp. Also an item of concern for us old codgers.

The entire place is damned near ADA accessible, if you squint, bring a sense of adventure and have a Honduran engineering degree. Entire groups of wheel chair divers do come here, the dinosaurs with canes show up annually for a snorkel only trip. The resort is very compact and very easily used by us gimps. The rooms are all very close-in.

Food is served often and for long periods of time. If your schedule doesn't fit that of the posted schedule, let them know and arrangements will be made for you. I'm operating on 1/2 of a stomach, and this is our first trip back since that surgical adventure.... am I worried about food? Not in the least. I'll let them know, I won't starve.

The dive shop is a separate entity called Dockside. Here's what you should focus on and utilize. Hiring a DM is an interesting thought, but what Dad really needs is a full morning or complete day with Patty Grier. I'd write her and schedule it for Monday. Let him get his flippers wet on Sunday. You'll be doing that shore dive with everybody else, so maybe hire that DM (in advance) for that first day of diving. He will get Dad's gear squared away and get him past the initial jitters. He will be ready on Monday for his smoothing out with a professional Instructor. Patty and her instructor staff are just the best in terms of squaring people away. I sat at her feet and learned the art of teaching and she gave me so many tools that I still use today. I can not recommend any single Dive Instructor more highly.

In summation, go and dive. CCV is an excellent environ for absolute noobs, also for very advanced experts. Those in the middle ground may find it a disappointment because they aren't tripping over larger fish. For Noobs, it's clear, calm, perfect boats, easy shore dive, easy everything. For advanced divers, the insanely high level of micro-macro critters for the Caribbean can not be beat. They are packed into these shallow, Sunlit vertical walls, it is trul;y the nursery of the Caribbean. You can see who the smart divers are- they carry a flashlight and a magnifying glass. The photographers are all shooting macro in the realm of dime sized critters.

It is a place that we've returned to once (or twice) a year for a week (or two) since 1985. We go a lot of places to dive, but CCV is "home".

We will be back 'home' on May 26th for the Full Moon. You?

Wow, thanks doc! And I thought I was excited before.... :wink:

I'll def shoot the dive shop a note soon, and let them know our situation, and see what we can set up. I'm already pretty sure I'm going to have a great time, but really want to make sure my dad does as well!

Doc said it all. I'll just throw in some encouragement:

I just got back from CCV with my new-diver son. It was the perfect place for him to build experience in a comfortable and interesting environment. He never did any boat diving, and elected just to shore dive. Even at 15 feet, there is LOTS to see and enjoy. Staying at 30-40 feet, you can make a leisurely round-trip to the wreck in less than 20 minutes, which gives lots of time for exploring. You need not join the boat, and can still have some great dives.

But... for boat or shore dives, I think they also have larger tanks. Your dad can have some extra air. It would extend his bottom time a little, and reduce concerns about staying with the DM or limiting other's dive time. I've actually seen people's air consumption drop when they switch to a larger tank, just because they stop worrying about using too much air. Ironic.

You asked for some additional suggestions too: Night snorkeling. There is a bunch of stuff to be seen in 4-6 feet of water between shore and the edge of the reef. A family of lobster live under the platform. A barracuda often hangs out near shore. A puffer fish sighting near the rocks is a frequent occurrence. Rent or buy a couple of economical flashlights (since just snorkeling, don't have to invest in high-end name brand ones, just ebay a couple of Chinese knockoffs).

My father and I are headed to Cocoview in May (I'm so excited!), and I'm wondering about how to make sure my dad has a good and safe time. He's a very new and inexperienced OW diver with terrible air consumption who still struggles a lot with buoyancy control; he's fairly overweight and needs a lot of weight (even in a 3mm shortie), which doesn't make things any easier.

I dove at CCV 2 weeks not too long ago. Your father will fit right in. I think he'll have fun - safe ???. Might want to keep a close eye on him. I got left behind once. The DM took off with the group before I reached meet point at the mooring (high current slowed me down). The previous dive he had the boat leave for a different mooring for pick up. Not knowing what he intended to do I had to abort or take the chance of being left/lost.

Back
Top Bottom