Staying north of town... Advice on dive op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rlbailey

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

Rented a condo at Suites Turquesa north of town May 4-11. Looking for suggestions on dive ops that will pick up in that area or any other advise. Thanks much!

Richard

Looks like you are close to Villa Aldora so I know Aldora will be one option. I don't know if they can/will pick up at your condo, but I do know that they will have a dive boat going by every morning. If for some reason they can not pick up at your condo, you could probably just walk to Villa Aldora every morning. It's who we dive with and absolutely love the big tanks and everything else about the operation. Shoot them an email and see what they can do.

ALDORA DIVERS

Safe travels,
Jay

Last edited:
Dive pick up choices are much more limited north of town so there may be less "chiming in" than usual on this thread. I know that there is a dive op working out of Playa Azul hotel/beach bar although I haven't got their name on the tip of my tongue. That hotel isn't too terribly far from where your hotel is so maybe they will (or direct you to their operation). Since I don't have their name handy (and probably won't be going up to that beach for a few days anyways...diving today and tomorrow), perhaps you could message the hotel and ask them to put you in touch with their dive op. I think there are a few other ops working out of northern locations. The dive op Salty Endeavors keeps their boat in the northern harbour so might be another option.

Stayed at the Melia a couple of years ago and had the same question. Several ops I contacted told me I would have to get to the pier in town where they would pick me up. No ops would come pick me up. In digging around before my trip, I found that the Melia had a small shack on their small beach area that represented their in-house dive op, Pro Dive. Although they didn't dive from that location, they set up the dives I did and the taxi to pick us up (gave another diver and me one envelope each day with $20 - $10 for trip each way - to give taxi driver.) We were taken to Pro Dive's main op at the Allegro Resort on the south side of the island, which is only a few minutes boat ride to great sites in the marine park. The Melia is a little farther north than where you're staying. Aside from Aldora being close as @Jayfarmlaw indicated, the Coral Princess Golf & Dive Resort is nearby and may have an in-house dive op you could book with.

So my suggestions are:
1. Contact an op and see where you have to get to for a pickup. Take a taxi there.
2. Contact the aforementioned ops/resort and see what they offer.

Check out Salty Endeavors. Henry, the owner keeps his boat in Puerto Abrigo located in the north end. Henry has owned his shop for a couple of years. He has lived on the island much longer and worked in Roatan before that. I have dove with him a few times and enjoyed his boat, his wit and his attention to detail. Salty Endeavors - SCUBA diving on the incredible reefs of Cozumel Mexico!

You are about 250' from the Villa Aldora. You can book your dive through Aldora. You walk to the villa and your boat will pick you up there.

You will have to bring your gear to diveshop (if multi day diving) . They will wash and setup your gear on the boat. All you have to do is manage your wetsuit. They have rinse tank and hangers at the villa to wash and store your wetsuit.

They also use steel 120 cf tanks and you will do 70 min dives.

We have been diving with them for 15 years. Great dive shop.

Btw Melina and playa Azul is way North. About 15 min walk from Suites Turqesa. We say in tge condo next door to ST.

I frequently rent a condo up north (usually at the Peninsula Grand). I dive with Aldora, so, as others have pointed out, you can just walk to Villa Aldora and get picked up there if you want to dive with Aldora. If you don't want to dive with Aldora, it's pretty easy and cheap to grab a taxi to town. It's not really a big deal other than you might have to stand on the road for a few minutes before a cab passes by.

Back
Top Bottom