bladder washout idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J322Y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I like to rinse out my BCD bladder really well. I'm sure I don't need to, but I do. Call it a quirk.

Today I tried a new method for rinsing it and I would appreciate some feedback.

I attached a washout hose to the inflator fitting and clamped the inflator button open. I let the bladder fill and continued to keep the button open causing water to drain from the dump valve. I let it flush for about 15 minutes.

I also added a little diluted bleach (50/1 water to bleach) via the mouthpiece before completely filling the bladder and let it sit for several minutes before starting the rinse.

Crazy like a fox, or just plain crazy?

bcd washout.jpg

I see your thought behind this, but to me it seems like unnecessary wear and tear on the seams of the bladder. I might try unscrewing the dump valve from the bladder and see if it still provides an "acceptable" flush

I actually used to do that but in a call to the manufacturer it was suggested that removing the valve so often wasn't a good idea. I may ask what they think of this new idea. The conversation was with the owner of Riptide who makes the BC.

Do not use bleach in your bcd! Don't use Listerene either. A good freshwater rinse or two, is a good idea, rinse until you don't taste salt anymore when you're manually inflating.

Do not use bleach in your bcd! Don't use Listerene either. A good freshwater rinse or two, is a good idea, rinse until you don't taste salt anymore when you're manually inflating.
Thanks. I thought about that. The amount I used is about what would be acceptable for human consumption in water if that makes a difference...

rubber does not like bleach, nor should there be anything that nasty in there, especially diving in salt water.

Flushing like that only works if the water is going out of opposite corners with no dead space. I.e. the left hip section was not flushing completely, nor was the right shoulder.

If you are particularly concerned, use steramine, not bleach which is what we use in rebreather counterlungs. No need to flush, just fill it up and let it stay filled for 5-10 mins, drain. Refill to halfway full and slosh around a bit then drain again.

Thanks guys.

Why are you wasting so much water?!!

There was a camel downstream filling up for the week.

I was joking obviously, but your question deserves a more serious response.

First off, much of the water you see on the driveway is from rinsing all of my gear, not from this bladder rinsing idea.

I've always been curious about the concept of "wasting" water. Since the earth is a closed system one could say that it's impossible to waste water. All of the water that ever existed is still on the earth, unless I'm missing something. I do understand that collecting and processing water for human usage requires resources, so in that sense it is wasting other resources.

If I'm correct that we aren't actually wasting water, but other resources (energy) then I wonder about how wasteful scuba diving is. How much energy is spent (wasted?) on producing the gear, powering boats, filling tanks, driving/flying to dive sites, etc. In addition to waste from diving we can also consider the pollution it causes, damage to reefs, interference with wildlife, etc . I don't think it's wise for divers to throw environmentalist stones...

Having said that I have a few questions for you.
  1. Do you shower daily?
  2. Do you ever take baths?
  3. Do you wash a car/truck/boat?
  4. Do you irrigate ornamental plants?
  5. Do buy local foods or food that is imported from thousands of miles away?
  6. How often are you the only person in your vehicle?
  7. Do you use flush toilets and if so do you flush each time?
  8. Is your living space larger than absolutely necessary?
  9. Do you run an a/c or heater?
  10. If so what are they set at and do they run at those settings when no one is home?
  11. Do you maintain dozens of gallons of hot water 24/7?
  12. Do you ever leave phone chargers, set top boxes, computers and game consoles on when not in use?
  13. Do you use a dishwasher?
  14. If so, is it completely full when you run it?
  15. Do you utilize large diesel trucks and plastic bags to move your rotting garbage to a landfill?
  16. Do you compost?
  17. Do you buy bottled water?
  18. Do you use a reverse osmosis filter system?
  19. Do you use paper towels, cups, plates, etc?
  20. Do you drive your vehicle short distances when walking or a bicycle would suffice?
  21. Do you use plastic bags for bringing purchases home?
  22. Do you have pets?
And here's a huge question that gets its own paragraph. Did you have children? I didn't. Just think of how much conservation of resources and reduction of pollution represented by my choice not to have kids, grand kids, great grand kids, and so on. Did the world need your children or did you commit the resources needed to support them throughout their lives for selfish purposes?

I could go on but you get the idea. Glass houses, stones, etc.

Back
Top Bottom