Best Deals on Singles BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive near where Eric does, usually a little further south from Monterey to San Diego, he dives some really rugged coastline.

I prefer my Dive rite Voyager 35 for drysuit and find it pretty adaptable for diving wet too, it’s now being used on the FP and I’ve moved the Halcyon 40 to my DSS plate.

I use the drysuit for boyancy adjustment and the wing has no air in it from drop down until I surface. Since I use the wing for the surface mostly, unless diving wet, the short wide wing works best for me and allows for more adjustment so I can go from single hose to to the Kraken with the tank set much lower.

I tend to dive with a lot of lead in my bag suit so I can keep enough air in it to stay warm, as I get older (63) staying warm is more of a challenge than perfect trim.

Dive your equipment don’t let your equipment dive you.

5) Get out your hot butter knife and hot screwdriver and you can DIY melt/ extend slots, put as many new bracket holes in your wing as you wish.

I think the rails design is great for this: you only need to poke 2 holes in the center panel and the grommets are in your nearest hardware store if you want them. I ended up cutting my plate: I figured taking a dremel to Alu is less hassle than removing existing grommets from the wing slots and then figuring out how to trim the edges nicely afterwards. (Plus, screwing up a $50 plate is less bad than screwing up a $200 wing.)

I’m in the same boat with my OMS doubles wing. Too big for single tank diving per se.
That’s a really good price on that DRG kit.

If you already have a plate then all you need is the wing and the cam bands. However some divers prefer to set up a separate rig for singles, so you may want the plate.

Thanks AMS511...Yeah I’m just gonna take my doubles wing off since I’m not diving doubles right now and save it for when I do get into doubles...

The HOG wings are short and wide by comparison, so it’s taco time if you require any air in the wing during a dive. The HOG wings are slightly wider than the wing on the TransPac I used to have (if I remember correctly). I own both the 32 and 23 pound wings. Surprisingly there is not a huge difference in height and width between wings (roughly 20x24 on the 32lb and 18x23 on the 23lb), however, the depth of the 23 is less for obvious reasons. From a construction standpoint I have been pleased with the Black 32, but the red trim on Red/Black 23 is disintegrating. This doesn’t effect functionality, but it sure looks like hell and leaves red debris everywhere. When money is no object I will be shopping for a long and narrow wing.

Last edited:
The Freedom Plate used to have much longer slots top and bottom specifically for this purpose. All it seemed to do was cause a lot of confusion and became a setup nightmare for a lot of people.

Those who have followed the genesis of the Freedom Plate over the years know the discussions about wings and wing placement are nothing new, but there are solutions. Drilling a hole in the plate to attach the wing has worked extremely well for us (post #125 of the link). Lucky for me Lisa wanted 2 holes in her Contour plate. Unfortunately, I didn’t have my drill press at the time….

What wings are you using with your Freedom Plate?

I prefer the upper cam band high and tight on my FP, so a solution for the older models with the welded rails is to add a loop of bungee. This works perfectly in combination with the plastic book screw and the bungee is held captive by the rails so you can’t lose it or forget it. We disassemble our BP/Wings when we fly in order to pack all of our gear in our carry-on, sans fins, so this is ideal. Here are some pictures. Two of the pics are without the wing for clarity.

Attachments

• C38D87F5-9341-4FCB-AF6A-FF005B0E322A.jpeg
    C38D87F5-9341-4FCB-AF6A-FF005B0E322A.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 98
  • B45F58B4-2144-42D5-B901-5A7700AF3DD6.jpeg
    B45F58B4-2144-42D5-B901-5A7700AF3DD6.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 3129A527-BFC5-45E1-AFA0-9E7212DF063F.jpeg
    3129A527-BFC5-45E1-AFA0-9E7212DF063F.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
The HOG wings are short and wide by comparison, so it’s taco time if you require any air in the wing during a dive. The HOG wings are slightly wider than the wing on the TransPac I used to have (if I remember correctly). I own both the 32 and 23 pound wings. Surprisingly there is not a huge difference in height and width between wings (roughly 20x24 on the 32lb and 18x23 on the 23lb), however, the depth of the 23 is less for obvious reasons. From a construction standpoint I have been pleased with the Black 32, but the red trim on Red/Black 23 is disintegrating. This doesn’t effect functionality, but it sure looks like hell and leaves red debris everywhere. When money is no object I will be shopping for a long and narrow wing.
I think the reason Hog wings are so wide is because they designed the center panel of the wing to match the shape of their plate, which is a standard doubles style plate, and this could have been to avoid pinch flats caused by the plate overlapping any part of the bladder area. When the two are combined it looks normal, however with the Freedom Plate it looks really wide and there is a lot of extra center panel showing on the sides that doesn’t seem to be right. I also noticed with the Hog wing that with all that extra material the bladder with a little air in it, it would flop around and roll from side to side with lateral movements. Kind of annoying.
It’s a shame because I really like the quality of the Hog wings and the price point is great. They’re just so damn wide!
If you’re looking for streamlined I recommend @OWIC647 ’s VDH wing. It’s the ticket from what I have seen personally.
I used to recommend Oxycheq Mach V wings, but the price to features/quality is off, IMO. The price spiked on Oxy when everyone elses prices were stable, so I’m thinking something else is going on with the company, who knows? I don’t really care because I am done with them. However a customer recently came in to set up a plate to a new Oxy, so I have seen an Oxy and they did change the inner bladder to the newer pinch flat resistant material.
Their grommets are also really thick and required longer bracket bolts.

I found th DSS torus 26 is super narrow and really hugs the tank. Never had the wing flop around whe empty.

I found th DSS torus 26 is super narrow and really hugs the tank. Never had the wing flop around whe empty.

Thanks. I checked out the DSS website, but didn’t see the #26. Maybe yours is an older model or it is out of stock. (Hopefully you didn’t mistype the lift.....being wrong on this thread can get ugly! :))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom