Overwhelming gear choices.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathan Doty

Contributor
Reaction score
This is more of a personal rant than anything else so feel free to ignore me.

I'm an extremely new diver. I picked up my personal gear gradually, fins mask etc. Doing snorkeling and stumbling across simple deals. Not too long ago I got a killer deal on regs, just missing a spg. Over the last few weeks I've started actually looking at computers and bcd which are the last things I need and I have hit the wall, hard.

There's just too much. I flip from a jacket, because I know them as its all my limited experience has been with, to a bpw based on reading and recommendations to just a back inflate which semi like a good compromise, especially since I will never be a cave diver, and then get overwhelmed with the choices and flip back to jacket because I just give up :laugh: And around and around I go. I want good but have a tight budget, which doesn't help.

So I give up on bc right now and let's look at computers! My reg came with a uwatec transmitter, so I look real hard at those. All I can find have dead or older batteries. But I really like the wireless idea and Tbh it wouldn't be my first rodeo to take something apart and fix it. Buuuut, horror stories and there's no way to know if what I have actually works, or will with a new battery, and the same with any computer I buy, and budget etc. One of my personal favorite sayings is"the only thing more expensive than doing something right the first time is doing it right the second" so uwatec came off the list.

Buy holy crap are there a lot of computers, and wow can you spend some money there. But I finally talked myself down with a bit of logic. I'm new. I'm not going to be doing anything super difficult for a long time and I probably won't use 90% of the features on a fancy computer. And if I do go that technical route someday, I can use a backup.

So basics that will get me in and out safely and nitrox is what i need. A while later I decide on a mares puck and find a mission 2 with a new battery for $100 (well 130), which also settles my spg needs. Decision made (yay) and now back to bcd driving me crazy.

I know I can rent, and that's not bad. But I'm a bit of a control guy and like having my own gear. When I was rock climbing, we climb on my gear. I know it, I trust it. Sky diving? I need my rig. Learning to fly? I'm shopping for a plane (didn't buy and don't fly anymore either :laugh:) if it's dangerous I want to use my stuff. So renting is a good option but I don't like doing it.

And in the back of all this, I still don't have a dive partner here in fl so I'm really burning calories worrying about something I can't really do but want to be doing. I don't want to be the 3rd wheel on a regular dive trip and possibly screw up someone else's plan. I would just like someone I can know so I can learn and trust how they do things. Control issues again i know, bUT i have a lot of time involved in not dying and training others how to 1. Not die and 2. Not get me killed. So a bit of trust is needed.

It's just a lot and I'm probably putting myself through more than is needed. So really, just need to vent a bit.
Back to your regularly scheduled programming now :)

This is more of a personal rant than anything else so feel free to ignore me.

I'm an extremely new diver. I picked up my personal gear gradually, fins mask etc. Doing snorkeling and stumbling across simple deals. Not too long ago I got a killer deal on regs, just missing a spg. Over the last few weeks I've started actually looking at computers and bcd which are the last things I need and I have hit the wall, hard.

There's just too much. I flip from a jacket, because I know them as its all my limited experience has been with, to a bpw based on reading and recommendations to just a back inflate which semi like a good compromise, especially since I will never be a cave diver, and then get overwhelmed with the choices and flip back to jacket because I just give up :laugh: And around and around I go. I want good but have a tight budget, which doesn't help.

So I give up on bc right now and let's look at computers! My reg came with a uwatec transmitter, so I look real hard at those. All I can find have dead or older batteries. But I really like the wireless idea and Tbh it wouldn't be my first rodeo to take something apart and fix it. Buuuut, horror stories and there's no way to know if what I have actually works, or will with a new battery, and the same with any computer I buy, and budget etc. One of my personal favorite sayings is"the only thing more expensive than doing something right the first time is doing it right the second" so uwatec came off the list.

Buy holy crap are there a lot of computers, and wow can you spend some money there. But I finally talked myself down with a bit of logic. I'm new. I'm not going to be doing anything super difficult for a long time and I probably won't use 90% of the features on a fancy computer. And if I do go that technical route someday, I can use a backup.

So basics that will get me in and out safely and nitrox is what i need. A while later I decide on a mares puck and find a mission 2 with a new battery for $100 (well 130), which also settles my spg needs. Decision made (yay) and now back to bcd driving me crazy.

I know I can rent, and that's not bad. But I'm a bit of a control guy and like having my own gear. When I was rock climbing, we climb on my gear. I know it, I trust it. Sky diving? I need my rig. Learning to fly? I'm shopping for a plane (didn't buy and don't fly anymore either :laugh:) if it's dangerous I want to use my stuff. So renting is a good option but I don't like doing it.

And in the back of all this, I still don't have a dive partner here in fl so I'm really burning calories worrying about something I can't really do but want to be doing. I don't want to be the 3rd wheel on a regular dive trip and possibly screw up someone else's plan. I would just like someone I can know so I can learn and trust how they do things. Control issues again i know, bUT i have a lot of time involved in not dying and training others how to 1. Not die and 2. Not get me killed. So a bit of trust is needed.

It's just a lot and I'm probably putting myself through more than is needed. So really, just need to vent a bit.
Back to your regularly scheduled programming now :)
Agreed. Pick one piece of gear at a time and ask us morons our opinions. YMMV. We do have OPINIONS.

There's another thread in this forum, New Divers and Buying Equipment. Start there...

I would spend my time and energy finding an experienced dive buddy. Maybe hit up some of the local dive shops. Bring coffee, chat up a few people. Chances are you will find someone there to dive with. This serves 3 purposes:

1. It gives you someone to dive with.
2. Now that you have someone to dive with you will go on a more frequent basis.
3. They might have extra gear you can try out, avoiding rental.

In either case, try before you buy. Remember buy once and cry once. By having somewhat of a mentor so to speak would help you immensely. In either case, good luck and dive safe.

No see, you guys are the problem. Before I came here and started reading I'd have happily picked up package #3 (maybe even supersized it!) But noooooo, I have to start researching here and now I have options i wasnt aware of. :laugh:

My new computer and spg showed up today, it powered right up so it looks like it's good to go to the lds to get everything checked out and serviced. Good day.

Welcome to SCUBA hell. We have all been there and chances are, you will replace most of what you buy right off the bat. Craigslist and Facebook market pages are your friend. The only piece of equipment I have not replaced is my first wetsuit (but I glued on a thigh pocket) ....wait I did buy a dive skin and a 7mm....but I still dive and love my Oceanic Proplus 2 computer. Big numbers, air integrated on a hose, replaces console, and easy to use. Literally everything else has been replaced or upgraded. I went from a used, but older Dacor jacket type bcd, to a Scubapro Glide X, to a Transpac and wing, to a Transplate , al plate, and wing. I still have all of them.

The truth is there is no best...and best for you will vary with the situation. It would be great if you could rent several options and decide, but I just kept my eye out for great deals and slowly built up a room full of equipment over 4 or 5 years. Im still a sucker for a $60 al80 tank....(research the tank alloys for pre 2000 tanks...or was it 1990?).

Accept the fact that no one gets their perfect setup right off the bat. You sound like a gear guy like me and, if so, you will always be on the lookout for improving your setup. You will buy something thinking it's great...and decide after a few dives that it's not as perfect as you thought. On to the next choice.

The quick answer is beg, borrow, rent, etc. if possible, if not, buy used if it's a good deal. The learning curve is steep, but relatively quick. Your going to get it wrong a time or ten...but each time your learning more what works best for you.

Good luck,
Jay

Hi, and welcome to the wonderful world of scuba.

Scuba is just not scuba, but you have many varieties of it, like photo, film, tech, hunting, night diving, cave and so on. This can different preferences to the type of diving you do.You also have a number of manufacturers. And as you have/will discover, they all have the best equipment if you ask them.

Good news, it’s up to you and what you need,and will get, is experience. Get into an active club or dive shop and get to know other divers. Then you can ask, borrow, discuss and try different equipment and setup. And use online forums as this. Although, we tend not to agree all the time☺️. Also, as you grow as a diver you will realise that some of your equipment not is as good as you’d hoped for the diving you’re doing. Been there!

Anyway, enjoy the confusion, I think most of us are there from time to time, getting a new light or fins. At least to me is a valuable part of being a diver.

Jb

Package #3 will work fine. As will #2 or #4. As You'll have to get really good to be better than your gear. Most important thing is that it fits, and is intuitive to use.

We mean well honestly it's just that we are passionate about this sport. On that note
Which local dive shop do you feel most at home when you walk in. That will be your go to shop they will learn your name know your experience level and diving characteristics. This is important as they will be able to recommend some dive buddies. Some shops will even have a list of people interested in doing a dive on a particular day and are looking for buddies
My lds does this. For two reasons it gets divers diving which helps their revenue for air fills and repeat customers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom