bladder washout idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

out the inflators work too, but we teach the students to do it out of the dump valve. They are using Halcyon Eclipse rigs so there are STA's on them and flipping them over to get it into the inflator is a lot more annoying than getting it out of the dump valve

I understand. On my Eclipse I would disassemble the plate, wing, and STA and soak them unassembled. The STA would go in a bucket so not to scratch the tub. I took the MC pack off my Eclipse to make it easier to wash the salt off the plate so it doesn't rust. It also makes it easier to get at the wing nuts of the STA.

Interesting, I was taught to do it the same way except to invert the BC and let it drain out of the inflator. Presumably to rinse the inflator.

out the inflators work too, but we teach the students to do it out of the dump valve. They are using Halcyon Eclipse rigs so there are STA's on them and flipping them over to get it into the inflator is a lot more annoying than getting it out of the dump valve

In my class we filled through the inflater. Kind of a pita to hold the hose and keep the inflator open, but it washed it out. I don't remember how we drained the BC but I'm thinking through the inflator.

Since I have discovered that the inflator unscrews I do that carefully to fill the BC, put it back on and drain it back out through the inflator and both dump valves. I could skip the drain through the inflator if I rinsed it out with the hose while it's off.

Have you tried a washout hose like the one I have? Just wondering how they compare.

BC Washout Hose by XS Scuba

same concept with the one you linked attaching to the bc. I like the smaller form factor since I am usually travelling when I use it. The XS one can be a bit cleaner since it clips onto the bc vs. push on, but it's bulkier

In case anyone wonders why I want to keep my bladder clean inside, I usually suck the air out before entering the water from a boat.

I dive a 5mm suit pretty often, and it's a tight fitting one (Bare Reactive). It's so tight that the air trapped in my suit takes a long time to purge and I end up floating like a cork when I first jump in. Not good for hot drops. For that reason I add water to my suit on the boat before entry when I can, and I also remove as much air from the bladder as possible.

Have you tried a washout hose like the one I have? Just wondering how they compare.

BC Washout Hose by XS Scuba
This looks like a great way to give an extra flush to that one problem area discussed in other threads: the inflator mechanism. Spend a few extra seconds with the inflator button down, and get rid of the salt and crud. I just ordered one! Of course, Leisure Pro had it on back order, so I guess all of SB has beaten me to the punch.

In case anyone wonders why I want to keep my bladder clean inside, I usually suck the air out before entering the water from a boat.

I dive a 5mm suit pretty often, and it's a tight fitting one (Bare Reactive). It's so tight that the air trapped in my suit takes a long time to purge and I end up floating like a cork when I first jump in. Not good for hot drops. For that reason I add water to my suit on the boat before entry when I can, and I also remove as much air from the bladder as possible.
Why not assist your bladder to expell extra air by squeezing the bladder with your hands, whilst still on deck?

I was taught to drain my bcd through inflater hose (decades ago) but in practice, drain from dump valves and inflater hose. I find that this combined with rinses gets more salt out as well as rinsing all internal areas.

Last edited:
Why not assist your bladder to expell extra air by squeezing the bladder with your hands, whilst still on deck?
I do that but I'm still able to get a good inhalation out of it.

Back
Top Bottom