Tropical night dive primary light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bali1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
For years I have just rented lights on diving vacations but now with the power of smaller lights I wonder if it makes sense to bring my own.

I currently use the cave explorer mini spot during the day and like it alot. I also have an itorch 2700 lumen for the GoPro - a flood of course.

I was just wondering what you all think in terms of open water night dives in reasonably clear conditions. I really don't think I need the old pistol grips but what output should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance

Sorry - the Explorer from Cave Adventurers. I know you have posted about them in the past.

May I suggest a small flood beam or "video" light.
Get one with multiple settings so you can set it on low and let your eyes adjust.
You will see more and bother the critters less.
Cheers, Kevin

Sorry - the Explorer from Cave Adventurers. I know you have posted about them in the past.

ahh hah. Just use that. It's about perfect for what you will want as a primary. Bring the video light if you're in the Caribbean or something, but for normal open water the explorer is what I use if I'm not bringing my big canister

We have 3 dgx600 and an 800. Very pleased with them and got over an hour of burn time on our last night dive. They used to get 45 to 55 minutes. Great lights. There was a thread on this site as well that compared the $19 eBay dive light that is a good read.

Good luck,
Jay

Great. Thanks all. After years of using the large pistol style it seems strange that I can just use what I consider a backup light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom