Should all recreational BCD’s have two tank bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vote with your dollars.

I appreciate single tank bands in a recreational boat dive setting (a rarity for me however). Two poorly used bands slip just as easily, but are far more hassle every time you change a tank at sea. Especially if the second band is low down the tank and it needs removed from the bench "clips" to install it.

Between the two choices I grab a single band bcd. Unless the band is worn out/defective I've never had mine slip when properly woven and tightened.

In that regard, it's a non issue for me with a slight preference towards single band.

Results vary.
Cameron

It's a matter of properly tightening the band and continuing to do so on a regular basis. With two bands the tank has less of a "lever" to wiggle back & forth thus loosening the bands, but a properly snugged single band will hold a tank just fine. It's easy to do. I have two cam bands on my rig, but I snug the top one regularly. The bottom one just keeps the tank from pivoting. I've actually replaced the bottom band with a SP type latching band so I can unhook it rather than having to lift my rig over the top of the tank on changeovers. I'm a lazy diver. :dork2: All IMHO, YMMV. :)

Tank won't slip if you're in horizontal trim

images (30).jpeg

What the op has forgotten over the years is that the vast majority of these episodes occurred when the velcro of the cam band came loose and the buckle released tension. And it usually happened on entry. And yes, it was a travel BCD.

Last edited:
+1 for a double tank strap. I looked like the hero on the boat when someone’s single tanks trap broke and I pulled off one of my two and lent it to them to save their dive.

I'll bet the strap band is threaded incorrectly. youtube is your friend here on this one. Plus when you put your BC on a tank, you gotta make it as tight as you can with the cam buckle open, then pull the cam over and make sure there is plenty of velcro to stick the end to. pick up the tank with your fingers under the buckle and the other hand on the top of the BC and give it a shake down to see if it slides. if it slides its obviously not tight enough. Like Tbone said,,wet it first...no mater how new or old it is..it does have the rubber sleeve on the band right?
First of all, I don't like the process of tightening it with the cam belt open so much that it busts my gut. Second, "plenty of Velcro to stick the end to, pick up tank to see if it slides, wet it first (no matter how old it is), bet the strap is threaded incorrectly".--Are you seriously talking to me..................? You can only tighten the thing so much, and I've demonstrated that to many classes. I like something that's easy and works every time, regardless of age of BC or if you wet it first or not.
Now granted, I MAY have been guilty of a couple of those errors 13 years ago as a rookie, but it's not rocket science.

Last edited:
I'd like to see you access a shore dive with horizontal trim.

I'd like to see many things,, mostly involving Scarlet Johansson. :eyebrow:

But seriously, tank slippage underwater presents different risks to it happening pre-dive.

Nonetheless, I'm firmly in favour of dual-band BCDs.. it was mentioned in my blog in 2011 (choosing a BCD). So much effort is made by manufacturers adding gimmick features to BCDs, but the actually beneficial features that could easily be added are too often neglected.

The AL single band with the cam buckle is very solid. Doesn't require pre-wetting before putting it on the tank. There's a small strap at top that keeps the tank close to your back. I find it much easier to use than the threaded cam bands.

On my XSScuba bands the buckle is noticeably larger than on my BH's jacket. There's
"more cam" so it'd tighten better even if there was just one strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom