Zoop Novo battery change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mortenscuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Some time ago i bought the new Zoop Novo divecomputer.

It said in tecnical specifications information on the suunto webpage that the battery is user replaceable.
After some more reading it said in the support information that suunto recommend the dive computer batteries be changed by an authorized service center.
In the user guide that came with the computer it says "Contact an authorized dive center for battery replacement".

I would like to change the battery myselfe.

I don't know what type of screws they have used (it looks like torx of some size), so I contacted suunto support via their webpage to find out.

I got a reply after 5 days:
Your Case is now being analyzed by our colleagues at Suunto Headquarters.
As soon as we have a reply from them, we will get back to you.

Can someone tell me what type of screwdriver I should use to open the battery compartment so I can change the battery ?
(Its 3 small screws, not the old suunto type.)

I don't understand why suunto says on their webpage that the battery is user replaceable if its not?
And I don't understand why they can't use some "normal" screws ?

Morten

Hi, Suunto do use Torx screws on their cases, but I'm not sure what size you need for the Zoop Novo. The D4i requires T-6, and the Eon Steel T-7 so they're not consistent across the brand.

Maybe you can pick up a set of Torx screwdrivers relatively cheaply?

Same as you, I don't get why they advertise these as user-changeable, then say the opposite in the Manual. It's probably just to cover themselves if you screw it up. ;-)

Suunto have videos to Youtube showing how to change the batteries - here's one on the Zoop Novo and Vyper:
Sorry if that's not much help. Maybe someone knows which Torx size the Zoop Novo needs.

My T-6 torx fit a little loose but can take them out. I don't have a T-7 to try.

As for the why it is and isn't a user replaceable here it is. User replaceable batteries usually means that the battery compartment is sealed off from the rest of the unit and it has an easy access door. Non-user replaceable battery usually means the battery compartment is integrated with the unit so regardless of the ease of the door access it will need a leak check under pressure. Something few shops are equipped for.

The Zoop and Vyper Novo are in the middle. The door access isn't easy but the battery compartment is sealed. So unless your equipped with tools and mechanical inclination you should take it to any suunto shop and watch the kid at the counter do it for you at no cost other than the increased price of the battery. But there is only two categories for the battery replacement so wouldn't you have called it user replaceable too?

A T-7 torx screwdriver is the right tool, according to a dive shop near to me. I have just ordered one from China (free shipping) for US $4.00. Thanks to Swan and Chicken for sending me in the right direction (torx screwdriver). Suunto wouldn't tell me what tool to use since they don't approve of DIY battery changes.

Pointy:

Please do not use a china made torx screwdriver to open your Zoop Novo. China makes the worst quality tools you can think of and you are risking permanently damaging the head of your screws, which you won't find out until your next battery change. Use good US made tools or, if you really want the best quality, get a german made torx screwdriver set by Wiha.

My dive shop gave me wrong info. The T-7 torx screwdriver I ordered was too big. I had to order a T-6 torx, which has a hardened tip, and grips the screw head perfectly. The T-6 also came from China, and it's good enough.

Wiha makes incredible products. Highly recommend. You won't have to ever buy another one again.

My T-6 torx fit a little loose but can take them out. I don't have a T-7 to try.

As for the why it is and isn't a user replaceable here it is. User replaceable batteries usually means that the battery compartment is sealed off from the rest of the unit and it has an easy access door. Non-user replaceable battery usually means the battery compartment is integrated with the unit so regardless of the ease of the door access it will need a leak check under pressure. Something few shops are equipped for.

The Zoop and Vyper Novo are in the middle. The door access isn't easy but the battery compartment is sealed. So unless your equipped with tools and mechanical inclination you should take it to any suunto shop and watch the kid at the counter do it for you at no cost other than the increased price of the battery. But there is only two categories for the battery replacement so wouldn't you have called it user replaceable too?
Hi Chicken Scuba
Just been asked by a friend about this and they pointed me to your comment, the Zoop Novo doesnt have a sealed battery compartment, it is marketed as “user replaceable” but dealer fitting is recommended.
Happy diving all

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom