Which SP reg for a pony, and which to get down and very, very dirty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too dive older Sherwood first stages. But I don’t use them as stage regulators. From my understanding, if you leave the tank off, the dry air bleed can let water in. And proper procedure for bottles is to have them off when not in use. Do others use Sherwood firsts for stage bottles?
No, I dive rec only.
But, you are correct, with tank valve off, the dry bleed system will empty gas out of 1st, then will allow water in.
This takes a while though. I never timed it but do it deliberately after a FW soak; tank valve off, purge to 500-700, then let it bleed air and whatever water collected under the rim of the bleed valve. Go to fridge and grab another cold one and reminisce.

I never timed it but do it deliberately after a FW soak; tank valve off, purge to 500-700, then let it bleed air and whatever water collected under the rim of the bleed valve. Go to fridge and grab another cold one and reminisce.

I have never timed it either. My indication that this was a real problem was when I did my first service on my stage rag. The green corrosion told me this was not something I wanted to be doing.

For now, I am using a Poseidon Oden/Jetstream combination. I may be the only person on the planet using Sherwood‘s for backgas and Poseidon for my stages! :) ( I can’t bring myself to use my Poseidon regulators in salt water, so I use the Sherwoods. So far, my stage regulators have not traveled. )

I have never timed it either. My indication that this was a real problem was when I did my first service on my stage rag. The green corrosion told me this was not something I wanted to be doing.

Yeah, I have aquired a few that had a corrosion trail from bleeding valve to piston chamber. This is what prompted the procedure.

You could always go halfway with your Poseidons, mount 2nds to Sherwood firsts... a la Ultima
:coffee:

I’ve always thought the Ultima was the exact *opposite* combo I’d go with... :) Besides service hassles (which is why my Poseidons don’t see salt), the Poseidon seconds (jets and xstreams both) reliably put bubbles in my face when in proper trim. 15 degrees head-up is fine. Flat leaves half my face covered in bubbles — and my head freezing from the cold air. And the first time you hit the purge button... and you’re choking on 38* water... it did not improve the situation.

Never a hint of bubbles with my ancient Sherwood’s and the big ugly exhaust tee... And never a risk of tonsil dislocation.

But this was a SP thread — let’s point and laugh at the clean-and-warm-water-only first stages... :)

1) Given these two regs, which would you make your primary and which make a pony?

The MK20/S555 are both balanced regulators and better breathers than the MK2/R395. I would make them the primary and use the Mk2/R395 on the pony bottle.

2) Given these two regs, would you combine second stages make a setup with a long, or long-ish hose and necklaced short hose backup, or would you stick with the Air2 only, or both

Put the S555 on an octo length hose coming from the bottom port,with either a short hose or the Air 2 as the secondary. Use whatever you like best.

3) Given these two regs, if you lived near the ocean but your ocean was a blackwater silt dive (Savannah, GA), which would you allow to get that dirty, or would you never let them near that muck?

While neither reg is ideal for dirty water, I would not hesitate to dive either regulator. Just make sure you clean them well after diving.

Thanks for the feedback!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom