Bungee or spring straps: which is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was never able to find any springs that fit my Mares fins. That's why I went with the bungee.

I have three or four sets of Mares fins with spring straps. Manta/Highland Mills (Rick Simons) makes them, DRIS carries some that work, too, I think (possibly Rick's), NESS has them, etc.

OTOH, if anyone wants a spare Mares strap with and buckles and wants to send me a prepaid postage e-mail, I'm sure I can dig up at least one or two sets, and that will get them out of my garage. I carry one in my spares kit, and whenever anyone breaks one on a boat they get a free replacement (twice, so far), but that's a slow process...and the garage keeps getting smaller. (Must be all those damn tanks. I should never have turned off the lights. They multiply in the dark. I'm sure of it. That's gotta be where all the inflator and pony bottles came from. Right?)

(Edit: Correct the spelling of Rick's last name. Sorry, Rick.)

Last edited:
I wonder if I am the last person on earth who loves the rubber straps on my jet fins? Long ago I injured a tendon from lap swimming repeatedly with a swim fin strap I had stupidly let ride on my achilles tendon instead of lower. I got a big tender swelling on my tendon that took over a year to heal! Now I am super cautious about too much pressure there and although I now know to wear my straps lower, I like that I can set my jet fin rubber straps snug but not tight, not putting a spring compression on my foot.
They are not hard to doff and don really. A massage of silicone lube all over the fin when bought solved the problem of how hard the straps were to adjust initially. I remember my ex was frustrated with adjusting his straps but he never lubed them, and no they don't slip, and the lube makes the fin so pretty.
I tried swimming the jet fins with the strap undone and the rubber to rubber mating of the bootie sole and the fin actually keeps the fin on a long time so I'm not worried about it coming off.

I didn't buy deep six eddy fins because when I demoed a friend's their spring was jamming my foot into their toe box, and I read here from someone else that wanted longer springs that they won't let you switch to the longer ones, and they come on the loosest attachment point so although you can tighten them you can't loosen them.

What you say is true about the Eddy fins. I had to change out the springs with those on my Hollis F1 fins and Deep6Gear would not exchange the springs. Still once you get the right length springs the fins work very well.

Check the quality of your spring straps. I got a some brand x spring straps which had press fitted caps over the ends of the pins connecting the springs to the end clips. One of those caps popped off at 40 ft. on a night dive in the Red Sea. I was finning along when something started flapping against my leg. I repaired it with a zip tie, a number of which are always tucked into my BC for such occasions.

Whichever you decide, bring and keep a spare set with you. I have Mares Avanti Quattro + fins and the original strap broke on me when I was donning them right before going away on a liveaboard trip. I always carry a spare set!

I was never able to find any springs that fit my Mares fins. That's why I went with the bungee.

Which ones do you have? I have the Mares Avanti Quattro + and found the Highland spring straps to be excellent. Let me know if you’d like a picture.

I love my XS Scuba spring straps I put on my Turtles (replacing original rubber straps).

YMMV

Last edited:
Maybe I will get a second set of jet fins and try spring straps. I love my jet fins so much I have “Jet Fin Loss Anxiety”... what if they stop making them? Should I hoard some? LOL

Maybe I will get a second set of jet fins and try spring straps. I love my jet fins so much I have “Jet Fin Loss Anxiety”... what if they stop making them? Should I hoard some? LOL

You should build a medium-sized bunker behind your house and pack it full of Jet-Fins.........while there's still time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom