RA Season ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I have dived RA twice in August and I love the place, can anyone compare August with Christmas or Easter please ?
I know the weather is windier and rain potential in August but I am concerned with the quality of diving, please only respond if you have experienced RA in different seasons.
Many thanks,
SJ

ive asked essentially the same question in my thread about RA in sept/oct. interested to see the response.

ive asked essentially the same question in my thread about RA in sept/oct. interested to see the response.

I can’t speak to Dec and Jan though I dived it in mid Oct last year. No mantas that time of year and we had 1 day of rain out of 7. Seas were quite calm otherwise. It was good diving.

I have been beginning september twice and november. The RA season is october-april because most liveaboards go to Komodo may-September. So it's more busy during October-April although it's the rainy season. The reason why is historical. The traditional boats were using the prevailing winds to travel and the winds change during these periods. Now, it doesn't matter that much anymore but liveaboard that do both areas keep on it. Also, August is the boat cleaning/repairing month.

Manta season starts indeed end October (or around) but I had mantas in September too. So more people October-April although it's the rainy season and better chance for mantas. That's why I found out and my friend that owns a LOB for more than a decade in RA says...

I have had some mind blowing dives in August but people on the ground seemed to say that it was like that all the time in December, I just wanted confirmation of that, that the diving was up a notch or two or more consistent then. Thanks for your input.

well.... tough question really. I spend 2 - 3 months out there most years since 09.
I was just discussing with a friend that what used to be a short blowy rainy season in late Dec seems to now have moved to late Feb/early March.

From 2010 - 2012 the christmas week was crap, big wind and rain, then i skipped 2013. 2014 wind and rain started New Years Day, 2015 - 2017 was perfect....
late march and april typically gets great weather and amazing viz. but not always.. :) I just got back last week and was amazing, however, in the beginning of March was blowing a gale.
I always book my own trips in late March early April as diving and viz tend to be great, but again.. not always.. can get a planktoon bloom at any time.

However, if you have to choose between Xmas and Easter, I would say Easter will have better weather and sea conditions. Diving will be very similar, mantas still around in late march/early april. No sardine action in Misool in March/April but also not guaranteed as late as xmas either (more Oct/Nov for those)

I'm looking to go to RA this December, but there are so many different itineraries. Does anyone recommend any specific itinerary?

Misool is my love. My preference would be to do a bit of Dampier, a bit of Kri and most dives at Misool.

I was on such a trip over Xmas New Years. Weather wasn't perfect, we had a bit of rain but nothing serious or ling lasting. The diving was stellar and I'm looking into returning at a similar time of year. This was my second trip to RA with the first being a few years ago in a similar time frame. My first trip found a similar weather pattern, mosly hot as blazes with intermittent showers.

Misool is my love. My preference would be to do a bit of Dampier, a bit of Kri and most dives at Misool.

I was on such a trip over Xmas New Years. Weather wasn't perfect, we had a bit of rain but nothing serious or ling lasting. The diving was stellar and I'm looking into returning at a similar time of year. This was my second trip to RA with the first being a few years ago in a similar time frame. My first trip found a similar weather pattern, mosly hot as blazes with intermittent showers.

I had similar 11-day LOB itinerary in end of Dec 2015 on my 4th trip to RA. Plan to do it again in Dec 2019 (7th trip to RA) & in mid Jan 2020 (8th trip to RA).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom