Snorkel Alternatives...???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wondered about the size. The pics make it look like the exhaust valve is very big.

The Kapitol reef snorkel looks very interesting. I’d love to try one.
It only takes about 4 breath cycles and you can feel the CO2 build up in your brain so complete control over the flow is essential.
I put 2 custom anaesthetic machine valves in, V1 only lets air into a small space with the mouthpiece.
And V2 only lets air out at a certain presssure. Very simple and easy function.
39DEE2FB-CE07-4FB4-8F81-E1FE53DBC09A.jpeg
So there’s no backwash of used air out the IN tube and a very small air exchange space for any CO2 build up. I’m using large diameter tubes so there’s no breathing resistance and its a very calm experience. I’m aiming at making something for beginners to enjoy.

Last edited:
View attachment 455339 Here’s a pic of the dry snorkle my scuba shop sold me to dive with when I first got certified. It was expensive and fancy at the time with a drain area and purge at the bottom and a heavy bulb at the top and a flexible but not floppy joint that kept the mouthpiece where you wanted it. Guess what it worked, laugh if you will.
Nowadays these things are uncool to elite freedivers who use only a simple J snorkle. So I got that. Recently tried an ocean swim in some waves and it totally sucked, my snorkle was getting pooped by waves and I was aspirating water. I kept having to dump water out the bottom and actually became nervous about “dry drowning” later from inhaled water. I like just swimming and holding my breath underwater so the snorkle went back to the car but I was surprised by how hard it was to use. Really made me appreciate how ingenious my old dry snorkle actually is.
That’s always been a slap in the face to me when people say they don’t like the look of dive equipment, overall everyone kitted up and ready to SCUBA already looks like the Michelin man / Apocalyptic warrior.
I don’t get the need for something to be beautiful when it’s more essential that it works perfectly in such a hostile environment.
I like that you found the dry snorkel to work effectively. I’d rather be comfortable and safe than pretty.
And any photo of me will prove that....

With the float and post system, the buoyancy of the float keeps it above the water, The open ended post now has a cap so that splash, rain or a seagull can’t obstruct the airflow.
D92F6F56-212B-4947-AB5A-23502C7ED8B2.jpeg

Last edited:
The tube that connects the mouthpiece to the surface float is the key to feel. At the moment I’m using a 1 in rubber tube which is completely the right size for breathing. One guy said it’s the King of pipe sizes for no effort breathing but it’s got negative buoyancy so it’s a bit heavy in the water and not totally flexible as I’d like.
In a perfect world I’d have a positive buoyancy tube about 3/4 in but it’s early days. I ordered tons of silicone tubing from India but the deal fell through. I’m always working on the design tho.

If you have access to a 3d printer, you could create the cap with a much thinner, lighter cap that might help offset the heavy feel. It could be made from the flexible material that would also allow it to be folded and stowed in a pocket.

Good idea woodcarver, I’m adding up all the good tips for the next prototype. I’m 5 mins from the ocean for testing but finding time to get down there is hard, Ive tested it a few times before dawn and scared a few surfers when I surfaced next to them. That’s why it’s orange and has glow in the dark tape on the float.

Some things are easily solved like the float design.
It started out as a central round buoy with a tapered top.
Absolutely hopeless, it rocked and wobbled and threatened to tip over at the slightest ripple.
Changed to the opposite making it a round hoop with a bridge across the centre.
So much more stable. No need to look for a further epiphany, this is gold.
ED312D07-BA28-4489-959C-67C04F91A832.jpeg
They’re all hand shaped EPS styrofoam and vac bagged epoxy resin.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.
I’ve never enjoyed the snorkel, the whole spitting froth out after each dive and then if the spit doesn’t work then you have to get your face out of the water and clear the snorkel and frankly, that can be annoying after several dozens times. I wish there was a snorkel that kept the end above the water, so I could dive down a few feet and keep breathing and then not have to do ‘the spit’ over and over again. And a half blocked snorkel is as comfortable as a fully blocked snorkel.
In a funny way I feel a bit vulnerable taking the mouthpiece out repeatedly when I should be looking at what’s happening beneath me.
It’s like a day of snorkelling is ruined by snorkel itself.
I think I just want to have a better experience with snorkelling to recreate the fun I had with diving but I don’t want to get fully back into diving. Lazy ? Yeah probably.
Did you check out any full face snorkel mask? Those can allow you to breathe through nose and mouth naturally. Seems you will like it.

Beachlife, yes Ive seen a few guys using the full face ones around the beaches here in Sydney.
I Goolged for the full face design and it came back with 2 deaths in Hawaii from using them and it’s kinda scary to think that this can happen to anyone at anytime. Life is very precious but also very dangerous, and especially if you’re sticking your head underwater or fun !
It does make me very careful of building anything to sell.
I put a special valve in either end of a T-piece with the mouthpiece in the middle.
ACF85F70-C8E7-4FAB-A3E1-EEEE21EB8654.jpeg
I always have a friend snorkelling with me and I’ve learned that one of the best ways to judge the intake of fresh air is the temperature. Fresh air coming in is cold, while exhaled air is warm. It hasn’t let me down yet but I’m not the type to trust my life to a couple of $20 valves.
Jacques Cousteau must’ve similarly been wary of what he built.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom