Want to dive Great Lakes -- where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Below 80 feet in Lake Huron it is often in the 38-42* range, so similar range. Of course, this is in July... :). The bottom of the lake just never warms up...

But doesn't it feel great on those stinker days in August when you almost died climbing into your drysuit and 400 gsw underwear? :)

Well, I’ll be diving Huron to just about 100ft in early August (Grecian wreck). I’ll let you know how it is. :)

Bottom line ... for diving the Great Lakes wrecks, thermal management is a big deal. The issue is real and it's not one size or location fits all. Topside conditions, bottom temps, bottom times, and thermocline depths (there are often 2-3 thermoclines, not just one) all come into play.

If you simply want to give Great Lakes wreck diving a try, it CAN be done wet with careful site selection and timing. However, if you are going to be diving the Great Lakes regularly, a drysuit is almost mandatory. As others have said and I agree, well over 80-90% of those you see on Great Lakes charters are in drysuits. For most of the Great Lakes wreck diving I did when I lived in the Midwest, it was 100% drysuits on the boats I used.

Guess it really depends on the location. On the shallow (85ft or less) wrecks of southern Lake Michigan, I’m seeing mostly wetsuits.

Looking to get in some Great Lakes wrecks this summer as well, some great recommendations on this thread so far! Does anyone dive the Great Lakes wet, or would I be absolutely out of my mind? I have an 8mm semi-dry, haven't ventured into the drysuits yet.
Depends on the diver. Most divers in my area (Lake Erie) swear by drysuits, but summer diving on wrecks above the thermocline can be done comfortably in a 3mil around Erie, and if your semidry keeps you warm at 40°F you are good for below the thermocline in the summer in Erie.

I really need a drysuit. For many years I dove a two piece 7mm, not fun.

Shortly after I got my first dry suit, I was "lectured" by a guy I dove with on occasion. His logic was that I would be "removed" from my environment, so diving wouldn't be enjoyable. He stopped short of saying I wouldn't be "one with the sea"...

Anyway, he stopped diving within a few years and I'm still going strong 40+ years later.

Apart from being comfy, a drysuit perhaps TRIPLES the length of the dive season. I have many friends who dive every week, year round. That means sawing a hole on occasion but not always...

A note about conditions: we get chop on the Lakes. Once waves get above 3ft, things are not pleasant. At least not what I’ve experienced on southern Lake Michigan. I’ve gone out in 3 footers that became 4 with a few 5s in there. I never want to do that again. I wasn’t sick, but trying to get back on the boat with those waves - never again!

It’s not uncommon for charters to be cancelled with waves forecast over 3ft at least in my area.

I bet that is true unless you are Canadian: the things I have seen Canadians do involving ice... of course they usually also involved beer, and that's not OK with scuba.

I’m half-Canadian, with a good dash of French-Canadian on the other side. Maybe that’s why I’m so crazy! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom