how do you dive a 7.5 mm full suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now you know why cold water divers are obsessed with steel backplates, steel tanks and dry suits.

Many of us have steel plates in our heads as well. They replace the parts of our brain that normally hold "common sense" and "sound judgement"...

Don't be afraid to BUMP that BC inflator button when you get down, put enough air in it to feel neutral, it will be a lot more than for warm, conversely DUMP it as you ascend... better to ascend a bit negative and swim up a little than let the wetsuit start swimming up for you ;-)

I used to wear 3 mil socks with 5 mil booties. When I moved to warmer water I had to buy smaller fins ;-)

Now you know why cold water divers are obsessed with steel backplates, steel tanks and dry suits.
Did anybody mention that you do not lose your insulation layer at depth in a dry suit?

Did anybody mention that you do not lose your insulation layer at depth in a dry suit?
Yes, they did. I think the point that @aquacat8 might be trying to make is this?:
All things being equal, my drysuit with thick undergarment is 8 lbs more positively buoyant than my 7mm wetsuit. I think that is the reason that some people are likely to want to use a steel backplate and steel tanks- (to offset the amount of lead required to carry). Not as a result of compression, but as a result of inherent additional positive buoyancy of the drysuit and undergarment.

I wear 24lbs with my 7mm. I do have to kick that down, but once the bubbles under the neoprene work out I don't have trouble maintaining a safety stop, even with under 500 psi left in the tank. I started with just over 30lbs and worked my way down slowly until I found a number that worked for me.

Most of the season I use a drysuit, but at the height of summer I find the 7mm more comfortable. Even then I'll use a drysuit for deeper than 70 or 80' because of the buoyancy issues you mentioned. When I trained under UTD they didn't allow a 7mm past 60' because they said it was impossible to have a balanced rig under those conditions. They're probably right.

Yes, they did. I think the point that @aquacat8 might be trying to make is this?:
All things being equal, my drysuit with thick undergarment is 8 lbs more positively buoyant than my 7mm wetsuit. I think that is the reason that some people are likely to want to use a steel backplate and steel tanks- (to offset the amount of lead required to carry). Not as a result of compression, but as a result of inherent additional positive buoyancy of the drysuit and undergarment.
Actually I never had a dry suit, But whatever you use for cold water you need what may be a surprising amount of weight. Steel tanks made the biggest difference to me. If diving wet it can be interesting to do a weight check with just the wetsuit. Ah HA! There’s the culprit!

Jay,

Sounds like training for here. Let me know when you are ready.
PICT0027.JPG

Having pretty much "learned" diving a 7mm full wetsuit in the 1960s, I had the opposite problem... learning to dive in the nice, warm, toasty waters of the tropics! Oh, and we didn't use BCDs back then. Today I styill dive a 5mm or 7mm full wetsuit at home but have the benefit of a BCD these days. I over weight myself with 38# to keep stable when filming in surgy conditions.

Back
Top Bottom