GUE Cave Sidemount is a thing now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ, serious question, how often do you encounter the need for side mount in the FL caves?

AJ, serious question, how often do you encounter the need for side mount in the FL caves?
Not once. 14 years now of cave diving and I’ve never been held back by not diving sidemount. A decent chunk of exploration too. 923ft of new cave just yesterday.

Look, I recognize that SM is a viable tool and there’s cave to be explored where backmount just won’t fit. But most folks aren’t using it in areas that require it.

I already dove sidemount before I ever heard of sidemount cave courses. Sidemount in caves is already old. I like to do it, but in big passages where not restrictions are I prefer personally backmount.
I do sidemount ccr and backmount ccr too. Take what you need for that dive.
If you think you need a sidemount cave specialty, do it.
I dive sidemount in some sump caves in France. Marchepied, Truffe, Combe Negre, Terrefondee, Bial, etc. Backmount does not fit (Truffe you can enter with twin12). If you look easy at sidemount, gas is gas. Same with backmount. I have it longhose-shorthose rigged, so same as my backmount. If you have crap bouyancy in backmount you still have same crap bouyancy in sidemount. Finkicks will not change in a different configuration. So if you look at this no course needed. But you need a good buddy, camera (autodidactical way) or course to learn the small things, to look at details. Cylinders properly rigged and horizontal, bungees right length? reaching your pockets is more difficult in sidemounts, so some use a pocket on their butt, etc. There is no 1 best way in sidemount. A lot of good ways and lot of good rigs. A good instructor does not teach you his way as only way. I use different styles too. I have 2 rigs. With stages on top or bottom? etc. I use sometimes bottom (ccr) and top when not needed to drop decogases (ow diving f.e.) Sidemount diving in areas where it is not needed is another discussion.

Last edited:
Sidemount is a fad?

It's easier to dismiss it as that, than accept a personal void in knowledge and capacity.

Not to say it's wrong that some divers don't feel a need for sidemount - just that dismissing the unfamiliar is the intellectually limited response of choice by those with a fragile ego to protect.

It's no different than how a recreational, jacket BCD wearing, instructor might call BP&W or long-hose unnecessary, inappropriate, image-driven, snobbish and/or faddish.

Not once. 14 years now of cave diving and I’ve never been held back by not diving sidemount. A decent chunk of exploration too. 923ft of new cave just yesterday.

Look, I recognize that SM is a viable tool and there’s cave to be explored where backmount just won’t fit. But most folks aren’t using it in areas that require it.

You need sidemount to successfully negotiate the Gallery in Ginnie dammit! And the lips! Those things is narrow.

It's easier to dismiss it as that, than accept a personal void in knowledge and capacity.

Not to say it's wrong that some divers don't feel a need for sidemount - just that dismissing the unfamiliar is the intellectually limited response of choice by those with a fragile ego to protect.

It's no different than how a recreational, jacket BCD wearing, instructor might call BP&W or long-hose unnecessary, inappropriate, image-driven, snobbish and/or faddish.

Florida doesn’t exactly contain all the overhead environments in the world. I don’t understand why people cannot grasp the value that sidemount provides, even in open water. Yes, it is hard to start out if one doesn’t have a good instructor to get them configured properly in a proper sidemount harness. I wonder how many naysayers tried it and just quit out of frustration. I don’t expect any of them to admit it however.

This reminds me when snowboarding started out on Mt. Baker in Washington state. Many “experts” said it was a fad and will never be as popular as skiing.

Sidemount is not something new or innovative. It has been around and in use for decades, well over a half century. What is "new" in relation to it is people who scream otherwise. It is a "fad" in the sense of people being told it is a new way to dive and have been sold on its merits and seem convinced it is the absolute "best" system for any type of diving. Unfortunately all too often I see people diving that style as a crutch for poor bouyancy skills so they can "fit" into places people with good bouyancy control easily back mount.

I'm not at all against sm, just the popular belief that it is "better" and "necessary" for a lot of dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom