Stainless steel parts not good for liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes you are correct. My memory failed me.

In general, I would not think Dive Rite would purposefully use inferior components. They have a good reputation, I would imagine they would like to preserve it. Looking at the Dive Rite Forum, I'm not sure if they monitor, respond to SB

I wasn’t expecting the manufacturer to respond here. I just wanted to understand the majority opinion on whether this should’ve happened. There was no rusting on the stainless steel buckles nor the d-rings and other components, so I suspect something is off with those particular rings. I do intend to contact them directly.

I am just an average diver. I thought “marine grade stainless steel” was sufficient. That was what was advertised. I bought 2 of these thinking they were built like tanks. But we were the only ones (that I know of) on the liveaboard whose cam bands rusted like this. Very disappointed.

Last edited:
Hello Dogbowl, Tim Here, I've just finished cleaning all my gear from the trip. No rusting on any of my gear/bands as you noted. I did get rusting on my "stainless" shears from the week, but they weren't expensive. Hope you get it resolved. Had a great week and nice to meet you both.

I wasn’t expecting the manufacturer to respond here. I just wanted to understand the majority opinion on whether this should’ve happened. There was no rusting on the stainless steel buckles nor the d-rings and other components, so I suspect something is off with those particular rings. I do intend to contact them directly.

I am just an average diver. I thought “marine grade stainless steel” was sufficient. That was what was advertised. I bought 2 of these thinking they were built like tanks. But we were the only ones on the liveaboard whose cam bands rusted like this. Very disappointed.

I'm sure DRE will do the right thing, I've bought god knows how much stuff from them over the last 15+ years, and I've always found them fast, responsive and selling quality items. You (and them) are just caught up in having crappy Chinese bits surface in the supply chain, you were just the latest innocent victim. If this is your biggest scuba gear disappointment so far, you have led a blessed and sheltered life. :) First world problems, as they say......

Last edited:
Hello Dogbowl, Tim Here, I've just finished cleaning all my gear from the trip. No rusting on any of my gear/bands as you noted. I did get rusting on my "stainless" shears from the week, but they weren't expensive. Hope you get it resolved. Had a great week and nice to meet you both.

Hi Tim! Thanks for chiming in! It was great meeting and diving with you all! I think fellow passengers can make or break a trip and you guys definitely made it wonderful! I came home and watched the trip video and had a big smile on my face. :D

Given that only one ring is corroded, and no other stainless parts show similar corrosion, I'd say they either used a different metallurgy on that, or it was in contact with another metal and you have localized galvanic corrosion.

I'd say that's highly irregular for stainless steel in the environment that you used it. I'd hope the manufacturer will agree.

I say that’s definitely a manufacture defect. That company has top notch services and I’m sure they will make it up to you and replace those cam bands

I work with a lot of stainless.
Not all stainless of the supposed same grade is created equal.
When I was doing boat railings I used to get 304 7/8” and 1” OD tubing from a supplier in Alameda that sourced everything from US manufactures. Never had a problem especially after passivation. They got some 316 from China and it was worse than the 304.
They went back to the US 304 because the smelting recipe is documented and certified to be accurate. Not so in China, they have no accountability so you will never know for sure what other crap might be in the alloy. I bought some supposed stainless all-thread that was supposed to be decent stainless. It was halfway magnetic.
Just because something is magnetic doesn’t mean it’s chromed steel! Cheap crappy stainless can be magnetic also.
You can soak that junk in acid all you want and it will never passivate, it just get’s eaten up.
I have a feeling those parts on the BC were from China (of course they were, everythings made in China nowdays!).
You folks with those great screamin’ deal Chinese regs, check your second stage levers and other stainless parts, you never know.

Doing liveaboards without things always getting rinsed much or ever during a trip is common enough and something I would expect gear to be able to handle. (The usual joke is that if your gear dries you are doing it wrong. :wink: Been on lots of these and never had any rust on BC hardware. I'm also going with you got unlucky with junk hardware that slipped by a good manufacturer and am guessing they will make it right.

Hi @Dogbowl

I have two harnesses from the same manufacturer as you.

Here we have high salinity and with the extreme heat lots of inferior material corrode quickly. I treat my gear "roughly" in that it may not get washed straight away - if on a boat certainly doesn't get rinsed until I get home (or before I fly)

I've not had the same issues as you on any of my gear (the oldest being 4 years old)

I suspect it was a bad batch of material

For reference my wife had one of the straps break (where the buckle connects to her fins) on her DR XT. they were 4 years old and had done maybe 400 dives. DR sent her a replacment fin all the way to Dubai. Given theri service I suggest they'll do the same to you

Back
Top Bottom