oms wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PS And I want to add all this talk about them being dangerous in solving a problem that doesn’t exist is BS. They actually do solve a problem that exist and that’s one wing that can be a multi-purpose wing if desired and used no I don’t worry on doubles but singles. I know I’ve done it without any issues in the past. All these arguments and such are based merely on conjecture not fact. I research this ovary year before I decided to purchase my first set of bungee wings. I couldn’t find a single documented case of diver(s) tradegy or death associated from the use of ANY bungee wing - be it OMS, Dive Rite it anyone else’s.
I would suggest that people do your own research and form your own conclusions for yourself. Get the facts not conjecture. Only then you’ll be in a better position to make an educated decision for yourself. Good luck and safe diving everyone.

Per your earlier posts, you’re a PADI basic open water diver who hasn’t dove in a decade, never below 60’, and never with more than a single tank. Perhaps some more actual experience would be good before ranting against the long-established standards of actual technical divers.

As for the old Doria divers using bungeed wings, well, they also dove air and penetrated by memory rather than lines. Should we stick with that too?

I love my old bungied wing with as backplate and comfort harness makes shore dives much more pleasurable I've inflated my wing orally it's not hard lots of guys I dive with use one no problems and their wings are over 10 years old
People complain why so much lift you don't need all that lift
DO you need 1000 up in your car no you don't can you get away with less then 100hp of course
But given the choice with both costing the same amount and fuel costs not being a factor which would you choose the car with 1000hp or 100hp
That's what I thought 1000hp
Why because it's not that we are gonna use it all the time but when we need it we have it

Yes I have one. Much like the oxycheq. It has the modification that replaces the need for a STA. I like it. and the inflator hose is not centered but on the left shoulder.

Per your earlier posts, you’re a PADI basic open water diver who hasn’t dove in a decade, never below 60’, and never with more than a single tank. Perhaps some more actual experience would be good before ranting against the long-established standards of actual technical divers.

As for the old Doria divers using bungeed wings, well, they also dove air and penetrated by memory rather than lines. Should we stick with that too?

If someone shows two, sure that’s their prerogative. I’m not just going by my experience I’m going by that of others I dove with the head decades of a good experience in deep water diving, wreck diving and more. I’m not saying you should listen to me or anybody else. I’m just stating some facts from what I’ve seen with others even more experience than myself. This is all conjecture as you well know. There is a single documented case.

@ScubaRN6559 When Exley started analyzing diving fatalities, he looked at what conditions led to the divers death. Certainly, a big one is caves is not being able to find your way out. With wrecks it would be entanglement risk, looking at the bungeed wing in JJ's book, I can see where entanglement could be a problem. It may not be, but why risk it? You want to be as streamline as possible, reducing the risk to as low as possible.

You should look at the DIR 3 and some of the other videos on YouTube. Also look up what it means to dive a balanced rig. My understanding was OMS was very close to the NE wreck diving community. These guys diving the Doria would do so using large capacity (heavy) steel tanks, consequently they needed a big wing to provide the lift for these tanks and the need for bungees to control them. OMS was happy to oblige, there were others such as Abyss that supplied such equipment into the early 00s.

As time moves on thinking changes, that is progress. Cousteau and his team made some groundbreaking dives using equipment a dive shop wouldn't even let you use their pool.

I’ve found this thread an interesting read and even tho there are different views on the OMS double bladder wing or about bungees, I’ve found it to be a great bit of kit over the years.
I’ve been diving 20+ years and been a tech diver for just over 10 years as an advanced trimix diver, my dives are varied, tropical or cold and most now are overhead wreck, cave, deep (with an invisible ceiling that you can’t pass)
Using wet, dry and semi dry suits.
Depths below 150m using twin 12s, Four 10s and one 7 in open water.
Penetration dives into wrecks by taking equipment off and squeezing into tight areas for access.
Is the kit any good? Well to me it hasn’t let me down yet and I’ve just brought a new 60lb tesseract to replace my old wing.
Have I used other wings over the years? Yes I had a dive rite wing and I disliked it.
Do I use the bungees? Yes and they have come in quite useful when taking off my rig and moving through tight areas stopping my wing rubbing against any sharp objects in a wreck or cave.
Did the bungees give me any disadvantages on a deep open water dive (drag, profile etc)? No my kit was just how I like it.
Do I connect my redundant bladder? No but it’s tucked away in a bungee just in case.
Would I trust a dry suit to become my redundant lift at 150m with 7 cylinders? Not a chance.
Would I recommend using this equipment to a guy that has just started diving? No and I only say that because it takes a lot of training and not just the courses but the type you do when preparing for a dive, (I trained for 3 weeks, two dives a day for the one dive of 151m).
The main thing to remember is your Tech equipment is personalised to yourself and the dive your about to do, an example of that would be would a DIR setup work for me on all my dives? No it wouldn’t but it doesn’t mean I dislike it I just need to adapt and find what works best for me. Something I may like others may dislike but that’s what tech diving is all about.
The best advice I could give someone is to try different equipment, different setups before you buy, test and adjust, train with it and prep your kit like you plan your dive.

Back
Top Bottom