Austrian diver killed, hit by boat at Bali’s Nusa Lembongan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drone076

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Kerstin Korinek (35), an Austrian traveler died after she was hit by a boat on Monday afternoon.

Klungkung Police spokesman Nyoman Sarjana confirmed the incident on Tuesday, telling local reporters that it happened near Jungutbatu Village at the mangrove forest, around 1:45pm.

Nusa Lembongan is a small island off of Bali’s east coast, popular with divers and snorkelers.

The victim, identified by Tribun Bali as 35-year-old Kerstin Korinek had been on a dive with the boat Serendipity, including the boat’s captain, I Made Sunada, a boat crew, I Gede Atmika Yasa, two other foreigners, and two guides.

Just minutes into the dive, crew saw Korinek had deployed a ‘safety sausage’, an inflatable diver’s tool used to indicate that she was coming up the surface, so the Serendipity approached to pick her up, says Sarjana.

But suddenly a boat from Lembongan Dive Adventure allegedly came from the west, directly hitting Korinek.

“Seeing that, a fellow (diver) called Zinggl shouted and crew saw the water was a reddish color, mixed with blood,” Sarjana said, as quoted by Tribun Bali.

Crew evacuated an unconscious Korinek, who had an open head wound, to the Serendipity and rushed her to mainland Bali.

“The victim was immediately sent to Surya Husadha Hospital Bali in Denpasar to get medical treatment, but at about 6:35pm, the victim was declared dead by the hospital,” Sarjana said.

Nusa Penida Police is doing an investigation into the woman’s death and a crime reconstruction.

The captain of the Lembongan Dive Adventure boat, I Kade Ricahyana has been secured by Nusa Penida Police for questioning, while police are interviewing witnesses.

The captain has not yet been charged with any crime, but police are considering whether he could be charged with violating 359 of the Criminal Code which covers negligence causing death, says Sarjana.

Water Police and the district attorney’s office are also investigating the incident.

Wisatawan Austria Meninggal Dihantam Boat Saat Diving di Nusa Penida, Ini Kronologis Lengkapnya - Tribun Bali

So tragic. As someone who's never been to that part of the world (where many of these types of stories come from imho), what is the scene like? Are there boats simply everywhere darting here and there? Is it one lone boat with a million to one odds that it happens when it does? And it being another dive boat, ugh.

Tragic and it sounds like it was highly preventable. I'd expect a dive boat to be aware of what an SMB is and to recognize that another dive boat may have divers in the water.

It's also important to remind everyone to look UP when ascending....and listen for engine noise! A very tragic story!

So tragic. As someone who's never been to that part of the world (where many of these types of stories come from imho), what is the scene like? Are there boats simply everywhere darting here and there? Is it one lone boat with a million to one odds that it happens when it does? And it being another dive boat, ugh.

Lots of dive boats, but I wouldn't say more than somewhere like Cozumel.

It varies by dive site. Some sites are extremely crowded at times, but others not so much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom