The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Aloha Joe I agree on the Apeks Wing, it's a great design with excellent tailoring.

Just make sure that the camband slots on the Wing line up nicely with your version of the Freedom Plate before you splash your cash. The vertical distance between the camband slots seems longer on the Apeks Wings.

87A159BE-BC07-492D-8427-676CB81DD391.jpeg

Three Amigos! Tres freedom plates just after a twilight dive in Cozumel. Thanks Eric.

Last edited:
Does anyone use this while diving with only a rashguard? Do you feel the straps in your back or anything else in your back? I'm primarily a rashguard or 3mm diver so this is my biggest concern with the plate.
Otherwise it looks incredible.

I’ve been diving with just the plate, no short or rash guard. No issues at all.

3mm and Rash Guards used. Never any problem at all with discomfort or feeling anything poking/rubbing/bothersome.

There should be nothing on the plate that “bites” you anywhere. I really made sure to roll all the edges away from the contact side of your back and rounded over/polished the edges as nice as I could.
The webbing part may press on you when you’re hiking the rig/tank on land, but as soon as you hit the water the weight is off and all should be primo :wink:

You could find some pressure points in some positions, like if you have a bony bump on a vertebra. Stiff webbing can be abrasive as well. Issues like this are not unique to the Freedom Plate and is easy to test. Like Eric said, it will be worse on deck than in the water. It was never an issue for me since I burn like a lobster so avoid exposing bare skin very long.

Back
Top Bottom