Have you been “accepted” by a school of fish, or made a fish friend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most interesting "fish friend" encounters I have had is slowly (VERY SLOWLY) creeping up on Trumpet fish that are hiding by hanging vertically in soft gorgonians.

You can lower your arm down and (if you are lucky) the trumpet fish will "associate" with your arm and not the gorgonian. You can then VERY SLOWLY swim the trumpet fish all over the reef.

I was taught this trick by a Trumpet Fish many years ago when I was trying to get a photo of a Slender Filefish that was hiding in a gorgonian. I was focused on slowly maneuvering about to get a good shot of the shy Filefish and ended up with a Trumpet fish jammed up in the way in my camera rig. The trumpet fish tracked my slow movements and screwed up my life by blocking shots of the filefish.

Since then I always look for a trumpet fish that I can creep up on and then drag out over the reef far away from the gorgoinian. It has worked a few times, but not often.

Not quite made a friend, I think this was quite the opposite, but maybe some fish psychologist will say it wasn't.

Patoux pissed off Picasso LOL

A few years ago, I wound up engulfed by a school of Blue Tang. They circled around me, head to toe- like a small tornado with me in the center- for several minutes, left, then returned to do it again. (At least I think that it was the same school!) Some of the fish were less than a foot from my mask.
This happened three times on the same dive.

A few years ago, I wound up engulfed by a school of Blue Tang. They circled around me, head to toe- like a small tornado with me in the center- for several minutes, left, then returned to do it again. (At least I think that it was the same school!) Some of the fish were less than a foot from my mask.
This happened three times on the same dive.
That must have been beautiful!

Two quick answers:

When we are drift diving the Niagara River here at home, it is SOP to drag your fins to control your speed and orientation (fairly stiff current, no stopping or much ability to change direction). The bass follow along with you looking for crayfish you dislodge. You can see them coming from off in the distance. They like us and hang with us for long stretches of time.

I also have some video somewhere from last year taken on our trip to Key Largo. My wife had this bright yellow rash guard on. At one point on the video, she is waving (to me) for me to come over. At that instant, a school of those yellow reef fish changed direction, and swam after her. I like to say that they were following "mom". It is quite humorous....

Quite often at the Poor Knights marine reserve (New Zealand).

The local marine life there are used to scuba divers and not scared. If you plant yourself on the bottom or on a rock and stay still the fish will swing over for a look. You are not allowed to feed the fish there so it's probably not the idea of getting fed that attracts the locals.

It's fairly common for sand tiger sharks here in North Carolina to swim with you. I have had 6 to 10 ft long sharks pass me on a wreck, do a U turn and then swim down the wreck beside me within arms length. I could have easily petted a few of them on the nose but thought it was not the best idea. It is quite unnerving the first time one of them does this but I have never heard of anyone having an issue with this other than the need to clean their wetsuit. :)

It's fairly common for sand tiger sharks here in North Carolina to swim with you. I have had 6 to 10 ft long sharks pass me on a wreck, do a U turn and then swim down the wreck beside me within arms length. I could have easily petted a few of them on the nose but thought it was not the best idea. It is quite unnerving the first time one of them does this but I have never heard of anyone having an issue with this other than the need to clean their wetsuit. :)
That sounds amazing... glad they are not looking to snack on you!

I also have some video somewhere from last year taken on our trip to Key Largo. My wife had this bright yellow rash guard on. At one point on the video, she is waving (to me) for me to come over. At that instant, a school of those yellow reef fish changed direction, and swam after her. I like to say that they were following "mom". It is quite humorous....
A friend had a black skin with yellow stripes down the sides and attracted, sure enough, a school of little black fish with yellow stripes. Too funny. Sadly no video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom