Coral reef destination recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The more I look at flight costs, the better Cozumel looks. Roatan sounds really interesting, but then I start comparing flight costs months out, and I may as well go to the South Pacific.

What do people typically bring with them vs rent? With something like fins and a mask, getting the right thing is important than the cost. I'd hate to be on a trip and find the only masks to rent are made for someone with an unusually small head. But then I'd hate to have a guide make me surface sooner because he doesn't like my brand of dive computer, or possibly have a BC or reg that doesn't fit their tanks.

We bring everything, now that we've got our own full set of gear. Some people like to rent everything. It's really your preference, but your own personal mask and wetsuit is always nice.

Most Caribbean dive destinations use yoke rather than DIN. Other than that, I personally don't see any issues with gear compatibility, unless you're diving sidemount or a rebreather (and I'm gonna guess that's not the case here).

Last edited:
What do people typically bring with them vs rent? With something like fins and a mask, getting the right thing is important than the cost. I'd hate to be on a trip and find the only masks to rent are made for someone with an unusually small head. But then I'd hate to have a guide make me surface sooner because he doesn't like my brand of dive computer, or possibly have a BC or reg that doesn't fit their tanks.

We bring everything except our weights and tanks, and we find it comfortable to dive our own gear that fits well and is familiar. And it is cheaper than renting gear. If you were only going to be diving for a day or two then renting might make sense, but if you are planning to dive for a week and are worried about expenses, then I suggest bringing your gear - but pack light. You probably won't need a lot of clothes and you don't want to pay excessive fees for luggage. Some airlines like Southwest and Cayman Airways give you 2 free bags so that is helpful, if that is an option for you.

Regarding bottom times, sometimes the dive ops will give you maximum bottom times because they have a schedule to keep - and it has nothing to do with your brand of computer. They usually have to get the boat back to the dock, remove the empty tanks and bring on the full tanks, grab some lunch and get the boat ready to head out for the afternoon dives.

But in my experience, the divemasters usually they don't care if you exceed the stated bottom time, as long as you stay safe according to your computer and if you make sure to be one of the first divers off the boat, so that you aren't keeping a lot of other people waiting for you to get back.

Ocean diving in Cozumel is mostly drift dives in a group with a divemaster, so that is a bit different, and you should check out the dive practices before you book - if you like really long dives.

The only time I have seen issues with equipment not fitting is when someone wants to dive a larger tank and it doesn't fit into their tank stands - but they can usually come up with a workaround for that.

Last edited:
Just a note that SE Asia is not necessarily that expensive to get to because you would mostly travel high volume routes. For example, I've gone to Indonesia for $750 RT while it can cost me $500+ just to get to the Caribbean.

Might not go this time, but consider it. That reef tank would be all there in front of you.

Just a note that SE Asia is not necessarily that expensive to get to because you would mostly travel high volume routes. For example, I've gone to Indonesia for $750 RT while it can cost me $500+ just to get to the Caribbean.

Might not go this time, but consider it. That reef tank would be all there in front of you.

Definitely consider it, as I said, my financial situation is uncertain. But if I could do Indonesia for $2000 including everything, I'd have a really hard time considering a $1500 Caribbean trip.

The single diver situation is probably far worse for the South Pacific.

I would think that you want a place with good corals.

If you like eco resorts, which I think means no air conditioning and problematic power, you might think of Long Caye in Belize. I think there are two dive resorts there. It is on the same atoll as the Great Blue Hole which is a famous dive. The corals on that atoll are in very good shape. You should see some healthy staghorn and elkhorn. Also you will see sharks and other things too. But flying to Belize probably is not cheap from Ohio.

You could dive Key Largo. But the reefs are pretty far off shore so it is about 2 dives per day. You have good fish life and decent corals but seeing acrophora is rare. The visibility is never great but no bad. The sand on the bottom is very fine and lends a slight milky tint to the water.

The reefs at Cozumel are in very good shape at the far southern end. Farther north, the reef quality falls off very quickly. Also, you are talking about drift diving and usually fairly deep. But the fish life is very good. Also, Cozumel is one of the most inexpensive places to dive. The visibility is very good.

Another place you could go is Cayman Brac or Little Cayman. My wife prefers Little Cayman and I like The Brac. Both are out islands. The visibility ranges from good to superb. There is very good fish life. You see more of the endangered Nassau grouper here than anywhere else. I think I average seeing one hawksbill turtle per dive. The corals are good also. The Caymans are not the cheapest place to dive but the diving is very good.

Just understand one thing clearly.

What you have in your coral reef tank at home will not even closely resemble anything in the Caribbean.

Most Reef tanks have inhabitants imported from the Indo Pacific. So...no anemone fish or colorful soft corals. I too have a reef tank - a big one. It took a trip to the Philippines for me before I met anything that looked like anything from my home reef.

Caribbean is great to dive but does not even come close to the animals of the Indo Pacific in terms of variety or color.

+1 to Tridacna
Closest I've found in Caribbean is out at Belizean Atolls, though also had a colorful and exciting time at Bequia years ago. Bequia, will not fit into your ease of flight requirement.

Just understand one thing clearly.

What you have in your coral reef tank at home will not even closely resemble anything in the Caribbean.

Most Reef tanks have inhabitants imported from the Indo Pacific. So...no anemone fish or colorful soft corals. I too have a reef tank - a big one. It took a trip to the Philippines for me before I met anything that looked like anything from my home reef.

Caribbean is great to dive but does not even come close to the animals of the Indo Pacific in terms of variety or color.

I've snorkeled in the Caribbean, and am very familiar with reef tank corals from both (although many Caribbean animals are illegal). I really want to see the Indo Pacific, and I will someday. But I can get some diving experience and enjoy a nice trip in the Caribbean first. I was married 4 years, so no matter how badly the divorce goes, I will be free of her debt and support someday and plan to take many vacations between now and when I die.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom