Stainless steel parts not good for liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your halcyon sta rusted because it was poorly manufactured, or the base metal was poorly manufactured, or the QA in the manufacturing process was flawed, as has been explained pretty clearly in the beginning of this thread. Halcyon isn’t to blame, the manufacturer of the sheet stainless is to blame. I’ve seen a ton of stainless, including my own dive rite backplate, my halcyon sta, and 7 of 8 of my dive rite d-rings haven’t rusted. The 8th one is a rustball. It’s been hard used for 20 years, so it doesn’t really owe me anything, but still.

Your halcyon sta rusted because it was poorly manufactured, or the base metal was poorly manufactured, or the QA in the manufacturing process was flawed, as has been explained pretty clearly in the beginning of this thread. Halcyon isn’t to blame, the manufacturer of the sheet stainless is to blame. I’ve seen a ton of stainless, including my own dive rite backplate, my halcyon sta, and 7 of 8 of my dive rite d-rings haven’t rusted. The 8th one is a rustball. It’s been hard used for 20 years, so it doesn’t really owe me anything, but still.
OK I accept this but do you think I was just unlucky?

OK I accept this but do you think I was just unlucky?
Yes, and need to bring it up to Halcyon. If no one (like me) ever feeds back to the seller that stamps it with their name, they will never know that they are selling substandard parts. If they don't know, they can't make it right to you, nor can they tighten up their supply chain.

You are unhappy with your STA. Give Halcyon a chance to make you happy. They are not going to come looking for you. You paid a lot of money for a blue H on your gear. If your ScubaPro failed to deliver air in some way, would you accept it or let them know?

Yes, and need to bring it up to Halcyon. If no one (like me) ever feeds back to the seller that stamps it with their name, they will never know that they are selling substandard parts. If they don't know, they can't make it right to you, nor can they tighten up their supply chain.

You are unhappy with your STA. Give Halcyon a chance to make you happy. They are not going to come looking for you. You paid a lot of money for a blue H on your gear. If your ScubaPro failed to deliver air in some way, would you accept it or let them know?
Ok I will thank you for the advice.:)

I think it's been mentioned, but the most common cause of rust on stainless is from the process used in finishing where foreign matter leaves residue on the stainless. Had a fairly high end stainless rifle go totally brown after one damp hunt. According to the manufacturer, they had screwed up a batch of barreled actions when someone left steel bbs in the bead blaster instead of the glass beads normally used for the stainless runs. Replaced at no cost, they even picked up shipping both ways. Replacement is still shiny many years and wet hunts later.

Nope. While all metals oxidize to one extent or another, not all stainless steel "rusts", that is, oxidizes in the form of FeO. Sometimes, under the right conditions, stainless turns black as in Magnetite (Fe3O4). It all depends on the amount of electrolytes and oxygen available.
Rust is actually Fe(III) oxide, Fe2O3. The Fe(II) oxide, FeO, is indeed black (but it's hydrated form, Fe(OH)2 is green) but it is oxidized instantly into Fe2O3 by oxygen; if it was not oxidized, there would be no need for stainless steel because FeO passivates iron surface. The black color you see on rusted stainless steel is likely coming from Nickel oxide, Ni2O3. It is the same compound that gives black color to quarters and dimes you find at the beach.

@Wookie and all the others I’m not going to argue with you but the facts prove you wrong.How did my halcyon STA get a blotch of rust ?

I’m looking more for info than a full on argument by the way...

...you came to Scubaboard "looking more for info than a full on argument" ??? .............That was your first mistake! :)

I came here for a good argument! An argument isn't just contradiction.

Stainless steel alloys actually do corrode in order to work. Ideally the Chrome (alloy content not plating) creates a very thin film of non-corrosive Chromium Oxide that protects the iron; which is the majority of the alloy. Normally that thin layer will "self-heal" when scratched. Even the most expensive grades of stainless, like 316L, can show surface rust or even pitting. The problem occurs when the Chromium Oxide is scratched and/or is unable to repair itself (self-heal). Iron particles are the most common culprit.

Higher Nickel and Chrome content alloys are generally more "rust" resistant. Rust is corrosion of Iron or Iron Oxide. Stainless steel cutlery is magnetic because high Nickel-Chrome alloys are too soft to hold a decent cutting edge. However, if you take care of these knives they rarely show surface rust. The most common alloys found in dive gear are 302/304. They have high enough Nickel and Chrome to be pretty good and have very low magnetic signatures, but are significantly less expensive and a little easier to machine than 316. Optimum manufacturing methods include passivation (commonly called pickling) after all fabrication processes to dissolve surface Iron and form a uniform Chromium Oxide layer.

Back to your basic problem: There is a good chance you can use a non-metallic abrasive pad like many kitchen sponges have to remove surface rust. This will also remove some of the Chromium Oxide layer but it will usually regenerate on its own. A very common source for this kind of rusting is surface iron transferred during the manufacturing process (steel rollers, drills, punches, etc) and not pickled. There are several DIY passivation processes that you can do that doesn't attack webbing that may be sewn on the part.

I have seen very expensive 316L stainless steel electrical panels on offshore oil production platforms ruined because a welder working nearby sprayed steel sparks all over them with a grinder. The surface rust wasn't noticed until the pitting broke through.

You just saved me a lot of typing.. great job with a easily understood explanation of stainless steel.. I like the long complexity of making metals.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom