How to plan a trip to Sinai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishNChip

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone!
I have a couple of questions about a trip to the red sea.
Me and my girlfriend are planning to go on a cruise at Sinai somewhere around August to September and we are not sure how to start planning the trip.
First of all, we heard about so many places at Sinai that are worth diving at and we don't know where should we go. Second, how do we choose the right ship for the cruise? Lastly, for how many days should we go on the trip to fully experience what Sinai has to offer?
Both me and my girlfriend are experienced divers, she is a Divemaster and i'm an instructor.

You're an instructor and DM and you don't know how to start planning a diving trip. En plus to a country next to your location?
Read up on some reviews and then decide! Do you wanna dive the Thistlegorn? Do you wanna dive only Sinai. Do you wanna go down to the brothers... Cruise trips are scheduled. They'll decide places and time...

This was double posted in General Travel and Vacation Discussions, I posted there Planning a cruise to Sinai - Red Sea

Assuming you are traveling on an Israeli passport, you should check with the operators to make sure you are able to depart from an Egyptian port. I know this is a problem specifically noted on the Aggressor website. I would imagine it is not unique to that operator.

Have you done other liveaboard trips and have you ever visited Egypt before?

There are a lot of liveaboards operating in the area, we did a trip on the Red Sea Aggressor out of Sharm el Sheik in the Sinai a number of years ago and it was fabulous. The Sinai and Sharm were gorgeous and we dived the Thistlegorm and many other wonderful sites, but our cruise did not visit the more Southern locations. We were there in October and the weather was perfect and the water was warm.

It was a week long cruise and there was plenty to do and see so I wouldn't want to plan anything shorter than a week. Check out some boats and their typical itineraries and you will be able to get more specific advice after you have narrowed it down.

Since you live in the region, you might be able to go back to Egypt for more trips in the future. We used the second week to visit some of the topside attractions like the Egyptian Museum, Cairo, the Sphinx and the Pyramids and more - but it wasn't enough time and there was so much more to see. I wish that we had gotten to Karnack and over to Petra in Jordan (which isn't too far from Sharm) but we just didn't have enough time.

It is a fascinating place to visit and the Red Sea diving is spectacular.

You're an instructor and DM and you don't know how to start planning a diving trip. En plus to a country next to your location?
Read up on some reviews and then decide! Do you wanna dive the Thistlegorn? Do you wanna dive only Sinai. Do you wanna go down to the brothers... Cruise trips are scheduled. They'll decide places and time...

I have red reviews, that is why I am posting this. Some recommend to start at sharm and then head north to Dahb, and some recommend to stay in the area of Sharm and Tiran. Furthermore the length of every trip varies. Add this all together and you get confusion about planning the trip :)

This was double posted in General Travel and Vacation Discussions, I posted there Planning a cruise to Sinai - Red Sea

Assuming you are traveling on an Israeli passport, you should check with the operators to make sure you are able to depart from an Egyptian port. I know this is a problem specifically noted on the Aggressor website. I would imagine it is not unique to that operator.

Sorry for the double post, I was not sure where to post this.

Have you done other liveaboard trips and have you ever visited Egypt before?

There are a lot of liveaboards operating in the area, we did a trip on the Red Sea Aggressor out of Sharm el Sheik in the Sinai a number of years ago and it was fabulous. The Sinai and Sharm were gorgeous and we dived the Thistlegorm and many other wonderful sites, but our cruise did not visit the more Southern locations. We were there in October and the weather was perfect and the water was warm.

It was a week long cruise and there was plenty to do and see so I wouldn't want to plan anything shorter than a week. Check out some boats and their typical itineraries and you will be able to get more specific advice after you have narrowed it down.

Since you live in the region, you might be able to go back to Egypt for more trips in the future. We used the second week to visit some of the topside attractions like the Egyptian Museum, Cairo, the Sphinx and the Pyramids and more - but it wasn't enough time and there was so much more to see. I wish that we had gotten to Karnack and over to Petra in Jordan (which isn't too far from Sharm) but we just didn't have enough time.

It is a fascinating place to visit and the Red Sea diving is spectacular.

Hi there! No, I have never been to Egypt or done a liveboard. Frankly, I am not sure what a Liveboard is. Could you please explain it to me? And you should definitely visit Petra, it is amazing!

Last edited:
Hi there! No, I have never been to Egypt or done a liveboard. Frankly, I am not sure what a Liveboard is. Could you please explain it to me? And you should definitely visit Petra, it is amazing!

The term "liveaboard" (sometimes abbreviated "LOB") is used to refer to a small cruise ship, typically around 12-24 passengers, that takes divers to different dive sites each day of the cruise. A liveaboard provides cabins to sleep in. A liveaboard provides meals. You live on board the ship.

You mentioned Dahab. I may be mistaken, but I have never heard of a liveaboard that visits the Gulf of Aqaba. All the liveaboards I have heard about visit the main area of the Red Sea.

Are you interested in a liveaboard, or are you interested in land-based diving from a boat and returning to land each night to sleep in a hotel? Or a combination of liveaboard and land-based diving?

Dahab was fun--full of backpacker people. I walked across the border at Taba and took a taxi to Dahab, but that was many years ago. I am not even sure the Taba border crossing is open nowadays. I assume most of your diving has been from Eilat?

...You mentioned Dahab. I may be mistaken, but I have never heard of a liveaboard that visits the Gulf of Aqaba. All the liveaboards I have heard about visit the main area of the Red Sea...

When we were on the old Red Sea Aggressor years ago, we dived the Gulf of Aqaba and Thomas Reef, but I don't know the current LOB itineraries out of Sharm.

Last edited:
...Hi there! No, I have never been to Egypt or done a liveboard. Frankly, I am not sure what a Liveboard is. Could you please explain it to me?...

The term "liveaboard" (sometimes abbreviated "LOB") is used to refer to a small cruise ship, typically around 12-24 passengers, that takes divers to different dive sites each day of the cruise. A liveaboard provides cabins to sleep in. A liveaboard provides meals. You live on board the ship...

You live, sleep, eat, and dive onboard when you are on a LOB. The advantages of a liveaboard IMO are that you usually can do a lot of diving - often 4 to 5 dives per day, including night dives just about every night if you wish. Also, you often have the opportunity to visit the more remote and pristine sites that are too far away for the day boats, or may require a long boat ride and fuel surcharge.

LOBs can seem pricey, but when you consider everything you get and figure out the cost per dive - they are often a bargain. If you want to do a lot of diving on a trip, then consider a LOB. Plus the diving is usually very easy. You set up your gear only once and just slip it on and step off the boat whenever you want to dive. And they are usually very simple trips to arrange because they are all-inclusive and everything is taken care of for you. You don't need to find a place to live, a dive op, transportation to the marina, or spend time hauling your gear around, or hunting for good places to eat, etc. Sometimes that stuff can be fun, but other times it is nice to just relax and have everything ready for you in one place.

Some of the disadvantages of an LOB is that there isn't much else to do on board, but you can relax, sleep, read, and take it easy. Staying on a boat is not as comfortable as a hotel room IMO, and if you run into bad weather it can be miserable to be stuck on a boat in rough seas and unable to dive.

Seasickness is another factor to consider. I did not get sick on the Red Sea Aggressor, but I have gotten very ill on some LOBs that had deep water crossings early in the voyage, but after a day my body adjusts and I am fine for the rest of the trip.

There are usually not many opportunities for shore excursions on LOBs, so if you want to combine diving and sightseeing then you are better off staying on land and diving with the day boats.

If you have never done a LOB trip, I think that the Red Sea would be a great place to give it a try because they are many vessels and excellent diving opportunities.

Do some serious research and read the reviews by divers before picking a boat (or a resort if you decide to stay on land.) Keep in mind that sometimes a cheaper price isn't always the better option.

A lot of European divers go to the Red Sea to dive because it is close, like the Caribbean can be close for American, Canadian, and South American divers, so you may find more info about RS LOBs on a European scuba forum. I believe that @Storker has done a number of Red Sea trips so perhaps he can advise you; and he has also dived in the Med and the Canary Islands, if those are options for you?

But a number of Scubaboard members here have dived the Red Sea recently and I am sure that they will also give you good advice. Good luck with planning your trip!

Last edited:
As @scubadada mentioned, you may encounter difficulties planning a Red Sea LOB trip from Israel, below is the information about this from the Aggressor website. They specifically mention Hurghada so I don't know if there are similar issues from other Egyptian ports, like Sharm?

https://www.aggressor.com/redsea-ii.php

"...Travel Advisory: We are unable to accept reservations from guests traveling on an Israeli passport due to Egyptian maritime regulations. There is a risk that when the Port Authority is clearing the RED SEA AGGRESSOR II™ to depart Hurghada on the charter, travel may be delayed and/or denied by the authorities for these individuals..."

I am glad that we went when we did. It was a wonderful trip and beautiful diving, and a totally unique experience for us, but it was a long distance to travel from the Midwestern US and it was expensive.

I know that a lot of people have traveled to the Red Sea recently without encountering any problems and that's great; but the US State Department still has a travel warning issued for US Citizens, so we probably won't be back any time soon:

https://eg.usembassy.gov/travel-warning-egypt-071917/

Last edited:
The Red Sea Aggressor I leaves from Port Ghalib/Marsa Alam and does the Brothers route and the Southern route. The Aggressor II starts July 28, leaves from Hurghada, and does the north, farthest NE is Straits of Tiran. The same Israel passport warning is posted for both boats

Back
Top Bottom