New divers need equipment help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only cutting tool I got to actually use so far is trauma shears, cutting old fishing line. Mine are something like 5 bucks for a two-pack from amazon, plus a molle holder. They do rust around the pin but at that price who cares. They cut through 1mm aluminum, too, and can open tin cans by cutting off the rolled edge -- they won't last long if you do that much but again, at that price...
Please share the link....... that sounds like rare treasure......

A number of divers I submerge with use, as I do personally, Sea Snips (INNOVATIVE SCUBA CONCEPTS | SEA SNIPS, MINI) - or an equivalent product - as their primary cutting tool. It will cut fishing line (main and leader), netting, i.e. the kinds on entanglements I expect to encounter on my coastal dives, I can even dig with it to an extent. My back-up is a little folding, 1" Buck knife. You are right, that is really not easily deployed with gloves on. If I am ever (and have not been so far) in a position where I need to deploy my back-up the gloves are coming off.

When I wore a younger man's exposure suit (apologies to Billy Joel and all those who love Piano Man), I strapped a pig sticker to my thigh. But, over time, I realized that there were few times I needed a knife, anyway, and the EMT shears do the job whenever I have need to cut something. But, that's just what works for me.

A number of divers I submerge with use, as I do personally, Sea Snips (INNOVATIVE SCUBA CONCEPTS | SEA SNIPS, MINI) - or an equivalent product - as their primary cutting tool. It will cut fishing line (main and leader), netting, i.e. the kinds on entanglements I expect to encounter on my coastal dives, I can even dig with it to an extent. My back-up is a little folding, 1" Buck knife. You are right, that is really not easily deployed with gloves on. If I am ever (and have not been so far) in a position where I need to deploy my back-up the gloves are coming off.

When I wore a younger man's exposure suit (apologies to Billy Joel and all those who love Piano Man), I strapped a pig sticker to my thigh. But, over time, I realized that there were few times I needed a knife, anyway, and the EMT shears do the job whenever I have need to cut something. But, that's just what works for me.

Pig sticker huh? I have my original dive knife- a big stainless steel U S Divers knife with a 6" thick heavy blade. Dad bought it for me around '74. As far as I can remember I have never cut anything with it, but it sure looked cool on my calf. Mike Nelson would have been proud.
Now I carry a Trilobite and EMT shears.

OK, I lied: not five bucks a pair at your nearest e-tailer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMOK186/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here's the pouch -- but you need molle webbing to attach it to: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KDXQM64/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS. and yes, I also carry a $2.98 serrated folding knife in the pouch. I'm on my second one now, the first one rusted to the point of not locking properly after 3 years or so. Never actually used it.

Last edited:
+ $9.56 "we'll ship your order the best way possible" S&H. Seriously, what is it, 1999? -- Adding item's weight and dimensions to your stock database and fitting those to flat-rate USPS boxes hasn't been rocket surgery for at least a decade now.

If the OP from Southern California is still reading, don’t get too stressed out by all the different opinions. If you can get a couple warm 7mil wetsuits that fit, and any gear that works, and go out to the coast and dive your local waters, like the Channel Islands, maybe on a Truth Aquatics trip or a boat out of San Diego that goes to Santa Catalina or even San Clemente you will get to see the amazing kelp forests of California! People have done this in all kinds of gear. A local dive instructor or guide might be your best investment. Find out what the locals Do! Just get wet again and you will be able to sort things out. Since you haven’t been diving in a year since your cert you are a “rusty” diver and so is your son, so if you can do some practice or a “scuba tune up” ( short refresher class) in the pool of the shop that certified you, and have some guidance transitioning to actual local cold water diving that will get you going. Have fun :)

As far as I can remember I have never cut anything with it, but it sure looked cool on my calf. Mike Nelson would have been proud.
Yes, particularly if you had used it to cut one side of a double hose regulator! :) Over the 4 years of the series, he certainly cut quite a few of them.
Now I carry a Trilobite and EMT shears.
Good point, I forgot to mention my Trilobite as well.

Back
Top Bottom