SMB Inflation Method of Choice

Which method of SMB Inflation do you prefer?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol. I use a 6' with a dump valve (DSMB). The bottom is open but seals once inflated. I have been using my second stage at 35' because I have to get it half full (short spool) .I like having a fat sausage when it reaches the surface. I just got a 140' reel so I can now release from 60'+ and I can probably just orally inflate if I have to. I like to maintain my buoyancy during the process, and where I dive it is a one man job to send up a DSMB.

lol. I use a 6' with a dump valve (DSMB). The bottom is open but seals once inflated. I have been using my second stage at 35' because I have to get it half full (short spool) .I like having a fat sausage when it reaches the surface. I just got a 140' reel so I can now release from 60'+ and I can probably just orally inflate if I have to. I like to maintain my buoyancy during the process, and where I dive it is a one man job to send up a DSMB.
But it's always more fun when there's company even if they are just there for encouragement

There are a lot of solo divers around. They have to inflate their own...

LP inflator hose or oral. All of my bailouts and deco bottles have an extra LP inflator hose. This is be able to plug-in offboard gas to my rebreather but it's also usable for inflating SMBs and/or running my drysuit if It doesnt contain helium.

Most of my SMBs and lift bags are the closed bottom type.

I'm not a fan of second stage inflation in cold water. I've had violent free flows caused by this so I don't do it anymore.

I agree with this, even when diving OC I prefer to inflate orally or use my drysuit hose.

Hroark2112, I like the concept you describe. So wouldn't work for me though as I'm obviously not doing the kind of diving you are doing. I rarely have enough air in my BCD to use in that way at the time I would deploy.

Last edited:
The best method that allows you to control your depth with precision in Mid Water is Oral Inflation.

The tool of choice is a 3.3 ft closed-end DSMB with an OPV and dual use inflator (Oral and LPI) tied to a 100-150 ft line that's rolled up in a wide Delrin Spool (non metal).

Anything bigger (6 ft or 10 ft) can be unforgiving of deployment mistakes and harder to control making it susceptible to large depth changes at best and at worse, a high speed ride to the surface. 6 or 10 ft SMBs are for surface deployment.

See video

Love this, great when I'm heavy loaded. Thank you.

I wish I could claim credit for the idea. Lamar Hires taught me that trick.

I was doing a dive on the Lowrance last year, watched 3 of the 4 other divers have issues with launching their SMB to start our deco. I went last, filled it from my wing and looked like a rock star. The other guys all commented on it when we got back to the boat.

Back
Top Bottom