How to plan a trip to Sinai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you guys for the comments, they really enlightened me.

Are you interested in a liveaboard, or are you interested in land-based diving from a boat and returning to land each night to sleep in a hotel? Or a combination of liveaboard and land-based diving?

Dahab was fun--full of backpacker people. I walked across the border at Taba and took a taxi to Dahab, but that was many years ago. I am not even sure the Taba border crossing is open nowadays. I assume most of your diving has been from Eilat?

I am interested just in LOB. From what I know, there are some Liveboards that start in Sharm, and then continue North to Dahab. The Taba border crossing is open, and it is possible to take a taxi/bus/etc from there to Sharm in just two hours.

As @scubadada mentioned, you may encounter difficulties planning a Red Sea LOB trip from Israel, below is the information about this from the Aggressor website. They specifically mention Hurghada so I don't know if there are similar issues from other Egyptian ports, like Sharm?
That is why I think about taking the LOB from Sharm.

I just remembered another great thing about taking a liveaboard trip from Sharm el Sheik, the Thistlegorm wreck was the highlight of the trip and our LOB was the first dive boat on the site in the early morning. We had the site all to ourselves during the first dive but noticed some other groups of divers had joined us during the last part of the second dive.

When we came up at the end of the second dive we couldn't believe the number of boats that had shown up while we were under the water! The boats were tied to each other and they just kept coming! It is a popular wreck and a lot of dive ops offer day trips to the Thistlegorm, so it is good if you are on a LOB and can get there very early.

Last edited:
Hi @FishNChip

You're right, there are liveaboards that depart from Sharm and also take in Dahab. I used to live in Sharm and there are some beautiful dive sites to experience, especially in the Ras Mohammed National Park and the Straits of Tiran. There are also plenty of Sharm El Sheikh liveaboards, so you can choose one that suits your needs.

As an example, the Oceanos liveaboard has a 'North Tiran Dahab' 7 night itinerary in September (with availability) that includes Thistlegorm, Ras Mohammed, Tiran and Dahab's Canyon and Blue Hole.

Let me know if you have any questions or I can help at all with finding a liveaboard. We price match and can get you the best deal online.

Enjoy planning your trip. Sinai diving is incredible!

Thanks,

Kathryn

Back
Top Bottom