Redundant air supply

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The company will never raise enough money through these begging sites to pay for the accidental death lawsuits that will occur if his product ever sees the light of day.

Will kickstart cover the liability costs when the first few die?

He will be long gone with the $$ I imagine

While you can use a small tank of compressed air (clean, filtered) to breathe a few breaths from underwater, it adds all the risks of "actual" scuba diving (lung expansion injury particularly) without the safety of adequate training and equipment redundancy which is historically shown to be helpful to dive safely.

For myself I've found if I want a few minutes underwater I enjoy breath hold diving, if I am going to introduce the risks of scuba, I want to be down long enough to enjoy the setup and preparation time.

Regards,
Cameron
Agree, and I would not have any interest in this thing, and don't have much of an opinion. Other than don't hold your breath, what would you guys list as the other scuba-related risks?

Not sure when or how so many people lost all common sense. Whoever came up with this idiocy known as crowd funding obviously had made the observation that indeed, a great number of fools are ripe for the picking.
If someone actually had a good idea and needed capital, what a slick way to get a bunch of investors who won't have any ownership interest if the company/product is successful.
In this particular case, it appears more like a conman invested in a can of yellow spray paint, a SpareAir, and a bicycle pump. Maybe $350? Put up a slick website and will disappear with something north of $1.5 mil. Pretty good ROI.

Possible ear problems but the holding your breath is the biggie, they say it only takes four foot of water.......

I've dove 20-30 times with resort courses and was really comfortable underwater, it wasn't until I recently got certified and many "specialty" classes that I realized how easily you could die doing this thing. While they may have brushed over the always breathe thing in resort courses, I really never gave it any thought, I do now though.

Arterial Gas Embolism is the obvious possibility, but multiple short rapid ascents can lead to DCS even in shallow water. The whole idea of people breathing compressed gas with no training is scary. In the video they are basically doing shallow freedives on it. Before I took OW I would have thought this looked fun... people don’t know any better. Ear baurotrauma, mask squeeze, running out of air and swimming up holding breath, yikes!

Glad you asked before you wasted your money and put your family at risk.

There's no way to find out (other than trials) how multiple (and rapid) ascents from very shallow depths may cause DCS. It would be interesting to know. There was a thread a while back about that regarding scuba. I usually dive to 20-30' and surface maybe 3-4 times to see my location (compass no good when you're spinning around looking for shells). But, this is not what a snorkeler does. I snorkeled for decades before getting OW cert. I would continuously go up & down with hyperventalations each time (another thing that apparently is not a good idea, though I never had any problems). Of course, DCS is not a concern since no compressed air). I would question why someone with a scorkel would do so many ups & downs when they could just stay down for a little while. Then again, they would have to be told it's best to avoid too many ascents and no doubt they would not be told.
I don't think I'd be overly concerned about ear problems. I found out pretty quickly as a teenager that maybe below 6-8 feet your ears really hurt if you don't equalize. Amazingly, I didn't know enough to do that until OW course. Never thought of it, but when my ears hurt I ceased to descend--just common sense.
Mask squeeze..........never had it on scuba or with all those snorkeling ups & downs. Apparently it's not anything more than a face that looks bad.
Breath holding on ascent, well that is still the only one I can think of that is a real danger.
I do agree with all-in that it's not a good idea for a non diver. It would seem that reading just a few basic instructions would help and should even be required by law. Perhaps a recommendation not to exceed 15-20 feet, to begin with--the depth where you can stay down indefinitely air permitting, and surface without any DECO.
To be honest, back in my snorkeling decades this would've been something I would've looked into.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom