Maui Diving (including Lanai and Molokai) and Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFEIII

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Will be on Maui soon and looking to do some diving. From what I've seen on the 'net, it seems that other than Molokini, the best diving is Lanai and Molokai. Would you agree? Assuming Molokai is worth diving, does anyone know a good operator that goes there from Maui? I don't mind spending extra if I can avoid boats with tons of divers.

Also visiting Kauai - anything there worth diving?

Thanks,
Ben

Lanai is great and has several sites (cathedrals, sharks, etc.). I like Lahaina Divers for that trip as their boat is larger and takes the sometimes rough seas better.

I wouldn’t discount the S Maui sites as some of the best. We’ve seen so many more amazing things at S Maui sites than at Molokini that frankly I prefer them.

Aloha!
Sounds like you have a fantastic trip in the works! I agree that some of the south Maui sites are fantastic. Makena Landing is a fantastic shore dive that rivals many of the boat dives. While there are numerous great operators on Maui - I always use Mike Severn's Diving. Pauline, AJ, and the gang are awesome. In terms of critter knowledge and finding the best of the best - THEY ARE HARD TO BEAT! I love their passion for diving and the briefings on critters are out of this world. I've been diving here professionally for almost 20 years and strongly encourage divers to go diving with them. Even if you aren't staying near Kihei, the morning drive is well worth it. Captain Andy is also fantastic. A great captain and a great sense of humor. Super helpful as well.

Molokai diving can be fantastic. The only operator that goes (conditions allowing) I believe is Lahaina divers. Bigger boats with larger groups. I've enjoyed Extended Horizons when I've dove out of Lahaina.

Take a look at some of the posts about Niihau if you want to do the best of the best diving from Kauai. The local diving is spectacular as well and offers many of the same critters, topography, diving styles of the other islands. No wrecks to speak of, but great lava tubes.

While I personally work for Bubbles Below Scuba charters (under new passionate ownership, you'll find that all the operators here are very professional and helpful. If the waters have cleared on Kauai near shore - Koloa Landing is traditionally a fantastic critter dive that is loaded with turtles, scorpion fish, frogfish, and other exciting creatures.

Again, really look at Niihau! It's a full day of awesome diving with the rare chance to dive with the endangered Hawaiian Monk Seal!!!

Feel free to hit me up with any specific questions regarding Kauai if I can help you with any arrangements, ideas, or thoughts on land stuff etc..

Best of wishes as you plan for what it sure to be an awesome dive trip to Hawaii!
A

Just about any of the Kihei boats are smaller so less divers since most launch from the Kihei boat ramp. I often suggest Severns also - just beware that they like to leave at or b4 6am if possible to be at Molokini first.

Lahaina Divers has 2 big Newton dive boats. On their website they show a group of divers but they'll segregate by level and aasign a DM to every 8-10 or so. Cathedrals is the signature dive but I also like the sites around Sharfin and points west - for some they may look for Advanced or equivalent experience but there's ofen two dives you can do also at the same site.

The other Lahaina boat options are Extended Horizons or Hawaiian Rafting with their big RIB. It can be a little rougher at the Cathedrals at times so a bigger boat is better.

Maui Dive Shop also has a big boat moored in Ma'alea - a few minutes north of Kihei. They feed divers from all their shops there - I've been on it once but won't again - too crowded

Only Lahaina Divers goes to Molokai for the hammerheads. I believe some times of year are better than others but have not done it.

I agree the South Maui shore dives are good options - in fact they're better than anything offshore in West Maui IMO except maybe Mala Pier. You won't really get a lot of depth anywhere just off Maui though - maybe 60-70'. A site like Black Rock is closer to 40' - near the back it's shallow enough that a good snorkeler can swim down.

Did the Lanai trip with Extended Horizons recently and it was the best op I've ever dived with, you will learn a lot about endemic species.

Lanai is great and has several sites (cathedrals, sharks, etc.). I like Lahaina Divers for that trip as their boat is larger and takes the sometimes rough seas better.
Thanks for responding!

I wouldn’t discount the S Maui sites as some of the best. We’ve seen so many more amazing things at S Maui sites than at Molokini that frankly I prefer them.
Thanks for this. When i read about south maui sites I took it to mean a “throw-away” second dive. I appreciate the insight.

Aloha!
Sounds like you have a fantastic trip in the works! I agree that some of the south Maui sites are fantastic. Makena Landing is a fantastic shore dive that rivals many of the boat dives. While there are numerous great operators on Maui - I always use Mike Severn's Diving. Pauline, AJ, and the gang are awesome. In terms of critter knowledge and finding the best of the best - THEY ARE HARD TO BEAT! I love their passion for diving and the briefings on critters are out of this world. I've been diving here professionally for almost 20 years and strongly encourage divers to go diving with them. Even if you aren't staying near Kihei, the morning drive is well worth it. Captain Andy is also fantastic. A great captain and a great sense of humor. Super helpful as well.

Molokai diving can be fantastic. The only operator that goes (conditions allowing) I believe is Lahaina divers. Bigger boats with larger groups. I've enjoyed Extended Horizons when I've dove out of Lahaina.

Take a look at some of the posts about Niihau if you want to do the best of the best diving from Kauai. The local diving is spectacular as well and offers many of the same critters, topography, diving styles of the other islands. No wrecks to speak of, but great lava tubes.

While I personally work for Bubbles Below Scuba charters (under new passionate ownership, you'll find that all the operators here are very professional and helpful. If the waters have cleared on Kauai near shore - Koloa Landing is traditionally a fantastic critter dive that is loaded with turtles, scorpion fish, frogfish, and other exciting creatures.

Again, really look at Niihau! It's a full day of awesome diving with the rare chance to dive with the endangered Hawaiian Monk Seal!!!

Feel free to hit me up with any specific questions regarding Kauai if I can help you with any arrangements, ideas, or thoughts on land stuff etc..

Best of wishes as you plan for what it sure to be an awesome dive trip to Hawaii!
A

Thanks. I’ll give Niihau another look. Since you are on Kauai, can you give me an update on overall conditions? I’ve been concerned given all the press about the flooding, beach debris, brown water, etc., etc. . Should I still come there or change plans? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom