Diving May 26-June 2 in Fiji - wetsuit advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm diving the last week in May on the Nai'a and I currently own a 3mm full and a 3mm shorty.

I'm an "extended size" - thanks Henderson! - so wetsuits are a bit more expensive for me than an average girl. Should I buy the 5mm full or will layering both be okay? I'm in a financial position where I can lay out the money if I need to.

I'm usually right around average warmth - don't run hot or cold. I dive a 3mm full in Hawaii (although only 2 dives a day) and I can wear a 3mm shorty in the warmer Caribbean months and a 3mm full in the colder ones.

This is my first live-aboard - so possibly 4-5 dives a day, 6 days in a row - and that's what makes me nervous about being under-prepared.

Thanks!

Bring both. Start out with the full. If you get cold, layer the shortie over the top. Saves buying a 5mm for a single trip.

Not uncommon in the tropics to see this kind of layering. People underestimate how chilly it can get!

WetPup is about right I think. I dive here all year round and find a 3mm fine in winter, but others don't agree. If in any doubt, bring 5mm. Water temp will be around 24-25 deg C.On a sunny day you will feel fine, but if it rains, and it might well, you might like having a 5mm. If you have room, bring both, if not, go 5mm.
Have a great trip.

I'm diving the last week in May on the Nai'a and I currently own a 3mm full and a 3mm shorty.

I'm an "extended size" - thanks Henderson! - so wetsuits are a bit more expensive for me than an average girl. Should I buy the 5mm full or will layering both be okay? I'm in a financial position where I can lay out the money if I need to.

I'm usually right around average warmth - don't run hot or cold. I dive a 3mm full in Hawaii (although only 2 dives a day) and I can wear a 3mm shorty in the warmer Caribbean months and a 3mm full in the colder ones.

This is my first live-aboard - so possibly 4-5 dives a day, 6 days in a row - and that's what makes me nervous about being under-prepared.

Thanks!

Did you receive a message from Nai'a about water temperatures? We are on the Nai'a the week before you, and they sent us a message cautioning that temps may run about 25-26C (80F). We are bringing 5/4 mm full suits AND Lavacore vests to wear underneath. As Fiji_diver said above, it's all good when it's sunny, but you will appreciate more insulation on the days when the weather doesn't warm you up between dives.

I didn't get the email, but I checked their website where they log their water temps and WOW. Guess it's finally time to spring for the 5mm.

I didn't get the email, but I checked their website where they log their water temps and WOW. Guess it's finally time to spring for the 5mm.

You spent HOW much on that Nai'a trip? Exactly.

Hi everybody, sorry if this was late, but the water DID indeed changed quite a bit in temperature. Good thing was I got my hands on the 5mm from Fourth Element just at the last minute and when riding the skiff back to the Nai'a, the wind made the ride quite unpleasant. From then on when I go back to Fiji, I'll definitely bring a 5mm from now on.

Just returned from a Naia trip. Almost everyone had a 5mm. A very few 3mms. Oneor two 7mms. DM Vanessa had a heated vest. Many had thin hoods/caps. I had a 5mm and added a Lavacore vest halfway through the trip. Water was a steady 80F plus or minus a degree according to my computer. But it was often breezy and cloudy, which can chill you on the Zodiac ride back and while doffing gear. Warm towels were a nice amenity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom