Bungee or spring straps: which is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aside from the short spring, the Deep 6 fins seemed really nice!
That they are. They kick like my diverite XT fins, but they're neutral instead of negative. I really enjoy them other than the minor unpleasentness from the slightly too small spring. I use the diverites with a drysuit because the negative buoyancy is useful there. The Deep6 for wetsuit or less.

I have the black atomics that came with the springs, working fine after 11 years, I dive about 120 dives a year.

Mostly bungee cords seem to be robust and cheap. The point is don't know if I can manage to regulate exactly how tight they must be in order not to cause pain or discomfort while diving, or even worse tendon injuries
It only has to hold your fin on your foot. I keep mine barely snug enough that the fin doesn't swivel sideways but still loose enough that I can easily remove the fin with one finger.

You mean I shouldn't use that pretty colored stuff I get from Harbor Freight :wink: Good call on checking under the handle as well!
multi-keeper-tie-down-straps-bungee-cords-06014-64_1000.jpg

This is all I have used for the past several years. I even used some I found on the street that fell off a truck. They work perfectly.

Hahahaha respect

I've had springs that stretched over time and some that were difficult to get the fins off in a hurry. I prefer bungees because they're easier to use than springs, last a couple hundred dives, take a couple of minutes to make and replace a pair and cost less than a dollar.

View attachment 455580

Some years ago I dived with a shop that had replaced all their fin straps with DIY bungees, like yours, but threaded through a small section of water hose to make it easier on the tendon.

In most cases, you do want a pad where the bungee contacts the back of the heel. I was able to use the pad that came with spring straps that I converted from. You can roll-your-own by taking a piece of sheet rubber and punching some holes to string the bungee through.

You can use a section of water hose pipe with the bungee threaded through as padding.

Some years ago I dived with a shop that had replaced all their fin straps with DIY bungees, like yours, but threaded through a small section of water hose to make it easier on the tendon.
I wear mine just tight enough to stay on. Even with the large Jetfin pockets I don't have any trouble keeping them on.

Back
Top Bottom