Cheap Eats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my favorite cheap place is Nopales (maybe Los Nopales?) on 30th, around 7th or 9th. They have my all time favorite tortillas. Just be aware that if you ask for queso on something you're going to get a lot of queso unless you ask for un poquito.

Also (assuming it's still there), Dona Juanitas empanadas on 5th, between 10 and 15. Open from 8 or so until about 12 or 1. Great empanadas, really cheap, and reheat well later.

Looking to see what everyone's favorite cheap eats are. I'll be staying in an Airbnb near Aldora/Tres Pelicanos, but I'll have a bike and don't mind riding a ways to find some good eating.
Mr Taco....say no more :)

X 2 on Pescaderia San Carlos! Some of the best fresh fish you'll ever have!

El Billys on Ave 65. BBQ pork products and chicken. Mostly locals getting carryout, but they do have two tables inside.

Los Sera's... El Pastor pizza is amazing. I have many fond memories of meals there. They sell a shyt load of pizzas after 10 pm. Go there after a night dive and watch how many pizzas go out the door.

El Pique is a great place with great variety of tacos.
I could eat there every night for a week, no problem. After dinner walk on down to the Pub (good food too), Sol on tap, great people, live music, shoot some darts, sleep, dive, nap, sunset drinks. Repeat...

No ducks on the sign.....
We like ducks, they are tasty
pelican_v_baby_duck_iii_by_d3lf-d7lj0zq.jpg

Mr Taco....say no more :)

Reviving this great thread cuz of my upcoming trip :). Wondering if anyone knows where Mr Taco is located. Fish tacos (and cheeseburgers) are my favorite after dive meals.

Also, I noticed that a few of the lunch places mentioned close at around 12 or 1, making it hard to get there after a 2 tank morning and a shower. Is this typical?

Reviving this great thread cuz of my upcoming trip :). Wondering if anyone knows where Mr Taco is located. Fish tacos (and cheeseburgers) are my favorite after dive meals.

Also, I noticed that a few of the lunch places mentioned close at around 12 or 1, making it hard to get there after a 2 tank morning and a shower. Is this typical?
It's on Benito Juarez, between 60th and 55th. @flyboy08 mentions it because they have 13 peso tacos al pastor that are f-ing awesome. At current exchange, that's about 65 cents a taco. It was close to my hotel earlier this month and I had no complaints about that. They don't do pescados and they are only open for dinner. Taqueria el Pique is similarly priced, on 40th (EDIT: Coldwell, two blocks closer to the ocean than 40th) between Juarez and Calle 2 Norte, but there is nobody standing on the street cutting slices off a 50 lb spit of roasting meat directly on to your tacos.

There are plenty of places that are open later than noon. I really liked El Sazón del Camarón for their tacos pescados al mojo y ajo (24 pesos each). They are right across the street from Mr Taco and open until 3:30. El Chino Marinero also has a lot of seafood options that are excellent. There are two locations, with different hours, within a couple blocks of each other.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom