Challenges in your first 100 dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thinking back on your first 100 dives (or in a new environment/configuration), what things did you encounter that needed an appropriate response to avoid it qualifying as a "near miss"? The mild incidents you fix or avoid now automatically... But caught you by surprise or needed effort the first time you encountered them.

As I best recall here's mine in no particular order: (rough and ready style childhood dive experiences)

Puked
Got lost
Knocked myself out
Entangled
Swimming up with no air
Trapped and ditched equipment
Twisted ankle
Had to float back to shore
Reverse block (a later one cost me 6 years away from diving)
Mask lost
Weight belt jammed
Blown oring
Flooded reg (double hose)
Choked
Ripped fin
Buddy stopped pumping (surface supply)
Airbell tipped (heavy when empty)
Bad headaches (co2 retention)
Moderate hypothermia (Canadian waters, no wetsuit)
Under ice

Hmm, well that list was longer than anticipated... In full disclosure, I didn't log dives until very recently, so those memories might span the first 50 or 200 dives...

Good times!

How about yours?
Cameron

This would be many years ago, but nothing comes to mind? I guess I'm either lucky or boring?

Now if the topic was motorcycling....then........:wink:

How about the first 100 in a new environment? First few cave dives were serious eye openers! Forgetting gear at home used to not cost me dives but now I triple check everything before it goes in the car. Also had some crazy ear problems (during a lights out air share drill) usually I’m the first guy on the bottom and never have trouble ascending but when you have no visual reference you end up with an ear drum that’s sucked in and painful still a week after. All of my missteps have been a learning experience so far, hopefully I don’t make any so serious that I don’t make it back to learn from.

How about the first 100 in a new environment? First few cave dives were serious eye openers! Forgetting gear at home used to not cost me dives but now I triple check everything before it goes in the car. Also had some crazy ear problems (during a lights out air share drill) usually I’m the first guy on the bottom and never have trouble ascending but when you have no visual reference you end up with an ear drum that’s sucked in and painful still a week after. All of my missteps have been a learning experience so far, hopefully I don’t make any so serious that I don’t make it back to learn from.

Even better! I'll edit my post.

... And ouch. I normally equalize easily but adding a scooter this winter I've given the squeeze to myself twice (no damage, just accumulating discomfort).

@flyboy08 A 100 dives with nothing but mainly good memories! Sign me up.

My list is much shorter - although I wouldn't count very minor things:

Got a full reg freeflow.
Flooded my suit.
Didn't fully dump in time and got tangled reeling up my own SMB line.

I've had a couple of very uncomfortable situations with cramps. Also one or two nasty current problems and occasionally drifted a bit further from shore due to ebbing tide. I was OOA once on a deep dive (120') at the safety stop and used my pony. But these rare occurrences spanned my entire 13 years of diving, not all in the first 100. Most of my diving is very benign anyway.

I reached my first hundred dives just over a year ago. Being a warm, clear water, vacation diver I have not had any serious issues. Being laughed at by a boat captain for trying to descend by inflating my BC instead of deflating it or running through air very fast have been my biggest "ordeals". I think having this site to use as a reference has helped me to avoid many issues. Don't get me wrong, I still have a lot to work on but I haven't had to experience anything too intense yet.

Ok, I recall one...drove my 1981 Yamaha 650 Special from Daytona Beach to the keys to dive with another buddy...we camped out and I got eaten alive by no-seeums!

Probably why camping since meant a Holiday Inn.

Oh one more I’ll add. I inadvertently unplugged myself from my p-valve and then spent two hours in the water. Brrr! I had my legs filled to above tre knees with water because I didn’t get the bolt screwed in tight enough!

Diving in Canada when I was young and lean. Cold May water in Tobermory. Feet were numb when surfacing. Had to crawl ashore - feet too cold to walk. Had to sit in the sun until they warmed up enough to walk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom