Advice on old MK2/R380

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The age of the hoses is not a big deal, to start with, based on the age of the second stages, they are not that old. Many of us are using hoses 20 or more years old that are completely serviceable. This has been discussed on SB before and it was pointed out, that new hoses have in fact failed too. While sudden catastrophic failure is possible, the majority of failures start as a slow and progressing leak. As long a the hose looks in good shape, is not hard or leaking, there is no good reason to replace it "just because I don't know how old it is". The ones that were failing in a few years were the newer Miflex type hoses, not the older style as these are. How many of us are driving cars that are 10,15 or even 20 years old that use basically the exact same hoses on our brake lines, I have never heard anyone recommending they be replaced every few years, if lots of accidents were being caused by failed brake hoses, we would surely be hearing about it. Brake lines are much less easy to inspect, operate under a lot worse conditions and IMO, a failure of them is much worse. Don't get me wrong, I am all for good maintenance but swapping parts that do not actually wear out but rather are replaced "just because" is rarely a worthwhile venture for anyone other than those who sell parts.

In general I agree with you about used scuba hoses. They need a good cleaning and inspection.

But hoses, both scuba and in cars do get brittle and develop cracks with age. I had a fuel leak in a cracked hose in an older convertible car. I could smell the vapour and feel it on my face after a drive, but the mechanic wasn't able to find it on repeated visits. Eventually I found an ultraviolet fuel dye and let the car idle. The fuel hoses were not expensive. The labour charge (and lost fuel) was.

Does the 1" socket fit your MK2, and therefore mine?

Yes it does. It's tight on my MK 5s, some I can get it to work on, others I can't. For those I use a home made socket that's a bit bigger. But that one won't fit within the sloped MK2 yoke.

But hoses, both scuba and in cars do get brittle and develop cracks with age. I had a fuel leak in a cracked hose in an older convertible car. I could smell the vapour and feel it on my face after a drive, but the mechanic wasn't able to find it on repeated visits. Eventually I found an ultraviolet fuel dye and let the car idle. The fuel hoses were not expensive. The labour charge (and lost fuel) was.

Automotive hoses are subjected to far worse conditions than scuba hoses. There really is no comparison, unless you dive in boiling water and/or corrosive chemicals, leave your regulator in extreme temperatures, and leave it pressurized constantly.

Scuba gear leads a very cushy life compared to most industrial/mechanical equipment.

I have been thinking about a new tool to remove most yokes, I will get back on that soon.

That reminds me....check your email.

The age of the hoses is not a big deal, to start with, based on the age of the second stages, they are not that old. Many of us are using hoses 20 or more years old that are completely serviceable. This has been discussed on SB before and it was pointed out, that new hoses have in fact failed too. While sudden catastrophic failure is possible, the majority of failures start as a slow and progressing leak. As long a the hose looks in good shape, is not hard or leaking, there is no good reason to replace it "just because I don't know how old it is". The ones that were failing in a few years were the newer Miflex type hoses, not the older style as these are. How many of us are driving cars that are 10,15 or even 20 years old that use basically the exact same hoses on our brake lines, I have never heard anyone recommending they be replaced every few years, if lots of accidents were being caused by failed brake hoses, we would surely be hearing about it. Brake lines are much less easy to inspect, operate under a lot worse conditions and IMO, a failure of them is much worse. Don't get me wrong, I am all for good maintenance but swapping parts that do not actually wear out but rather are replaced "just because" is rarely a worthwhile venture for anyone other than those who sell parts.

20 years for crimps exposed to salt water is a long time (as evidenced by the maintenance the body of the regulator got). The exterior of those hoses are already cracked and sun damaged.

A HP hose failure isn't a big deal. LP is actually a big deal - and they can certainly be dramatic.
Alert Diver | Escape from the Bubble Cloud

Yes there are common hose failures like a slow leak from the crimp that is a warning sign of something worse. But continuing to use 20+ year old soft parts subject to totally unknown ozone, UV and corrosive degradation when they can be replaced inexpensively is a bit ridiculous. In the case of a pony bottle using with a button gauge there's often only 1 reg hose anyway which is less than the price of servicing the insides of the reg. To use your car analogy, would you just keep driving your car until the timing belt broke? They don't break very often afterall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom